R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there aftermarket valve cover protection covers available for the 1250 719 Option. Touratech were of the opinion their protection covers would fit but they don’t which is a pity because they are good quality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Machine Art Moto says that theirs will but they don't. I love the colour scheme of my bike but I really wish the dealership had warned me about the limited options for protection with the 719 package.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts exactly, hopefully there is a supplier out there. I have fitted the Touratech crash bars with the spacer kit designed accommodate the Protection covers.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Are there aftermarket valve cover protection covers available for the 1250 719 Option. Touratech were of the opinion their protection covers would fit but they don’t which is a pity because they are good quality.
If you have a R1250GS Adventure you could buy the valve covers offered by Wunderlich. That's what I have on mine.
See picture.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
@dadamsinky Not sure what you mean by “I have not found anything even claiming fits so far”.

Did you look at post #4 on this thread, which I posted? You will see a picture of the Wunderlich cylinder head protection fitted to my 2021 R1250GS Adventure with option 719. The protection plates fit perfectly.

The only drawback is their high cost at $292.95. However, if you were to drop your bike while riding on rough terrain and a pointed rock found its way between the two cylinder protection bars crushing your beautiful Option 719 ($$$) valve cover, I wonder how you would feel.

Wunderlich Cylinder Head Protection

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
25 Posts
Yes, I saw your post. What I was looking for was a reinforcing bar back to the frame from rear of 2020 GSA crash bars, of which there are a few but all contacted said not enough clearance with 719. From my readings, the cover cracking issue is reported to be flexing or bending of the crash bars back onto the valve covers, impact if the crash bars themselves on the cover not so much from penetration.

I don’t know which risk is higher but assumed the bending when I saw 3-4 examples of cover cracking due to same. Different potential scenarios with different solutions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I saw your post. What I was looking for was a reinforcing bar back to the frame from rear of 2020 GSA crash bars, of which there are a few but all contacted said not enough clearance with 719. From my readings, the cover cracking issue is reported to be flexing or bending of the crash bars back onto the valve covers, impact if the crash bars themselves on the cover not so much from penetration.

I don’t know which risk is higher but assumed the bending when I saw 3-4 examples of cover cracking due to same. Different potential scenarios with different solutions.

These is quite an open space in many of the aftermarket lower brackets and you are correct that none of the 'fourth leg' add-ons for the stock bars fit. But I feel that my Altrider bars offer pretty good attachment points for strength plus are thicker than most bars. I know there is one guy who posted how his failed on a simple garage tip-over but the vast majority of reviews seem to favour them. For all I know the guy complaining didn't mount his very well. Mine have held up fine for off-road tipovers on both sides.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts

Sorry I didn't know you were looking at an extra bar to reinforce the BMW crash bar. Yes you are right what’s on the market will not fit the Option 719 valve covers. I guess if the demand is there, the Touratech, Wunderlich or other vendors will offer a solution.

The original BMW crash bars seem to be sturdy. They are also fitted with rubber bumpers that will absorb some pressure on the valve covers in case the crash bar bent in.

I was told by a dealer that BMW didn't add an extra bar connecting the rear of the crash bar to the bike’s frame so as to avoid the risk of bending the motorcycle frame during a severe side crash.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll throw my .02 in... a drop on a pointy rock might scratch up the pretty billet cover, it will end your day with a stock one.

I've used billet clutch/stator covers on a roadrace bike, they hold up. Given that, and knowing what billet costs...if you're having a bike built, billet pack it a decent value.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts