R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently came back from a trip with my GS, the bike was quite loaded and the Vario bags quite heavy.

I noticed that the one of the support arms bent a bit so now my right case isnt straight anymore but it leans towards the inside.

I will have to replace the arm but I am also wondering if anyone found any sturdier solution, perhaps a custom made metal arm instead of the stock plastic one.

Also, I noticed some sort of 'stabiliser bar' would help too, something which when fitted stops the Vario panniers from `flapping about'. The GSA has it for the metal panniers, it would help having it for the Vario one as well.

Any idea???

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
My idea isn't one you'll like... ditch the varios and put some sturdier panniers on the bike. That was my solution after one vario bag fell off and the replacement bag popped open.

FWIW I got $500 for the varios with mounting brackets from someone who wanted to retro-fit them to an R80 as city cases.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that would be the best solution tho I do really like the Vario as they are quite small (unless extended) and I commute daily with the bike in the city.
I actually found a guy in the UK manufacturing a 'stabiliser' for about 50$, other 50$ will go into the replacement bracket (thank God for eBay!).
Hopefully the solution will work ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought a stabilizer bar from one of the English fellows on line, came to about $75 shipped to the west coast, does what it says it will do, pushes out rear of bags making then a lot more stable

FYI one of the reasons I like the vario bags is that they expand if necessary, normally I leave them in compacted mode, even when touring, only time I have had to expand them I riding with my bride as she fills her bike then mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts