R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody found any smart way (or just a 'way') to use the space in the Vario pannier above the exhaust.
It is not buch but still it would be great to store a few tools or other stuff in there..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Left side vario kinda useless in the collapsed mode, I try to always ride with both sides collapsed, pack lite?
With case collapsed I use a rok strap between the expanding arm to hold stuff in
Left side used for quart of oil,spare air can, tire repair kit/pump, first aid kit(large) lastly rain gear is rolled and placed at top of bag
Generally all the junk seldom used ends up in left case
Suggest when opening left case bike be on center stand

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Way back when someone figured out how to attach some velcro loops and used them to hold stuff up high in the little bit of space available. Don't recall who did it or how they did the job.

·
Bwana
12 Posts
LH Vario

Something like this? No modifications to the case so that it can be returned to original if required. In this instance, the way the shelf has been built and attached, the case is in the non-expanded position. The bronze coloured item with the blue pad and red tape under the shelf is a tyre bead breaker.

Attachments

·
I'd rather be flying
236 Posts
Lowered Exhaust???

Somewhere along the line I saw a GS with lowered exhaust and a full-size vario pannier on the left. I must admit that the lowered exhaust was ugly but the increased capacity of the left pannier made the change worth while. I don't know all of the specs or how they came about doing the modification but I don't expect it to be too difficult.

As far as what I use it for when I travel:
Med kit, oil, small snacks, extra gloves. I can fit a whole cooler of food in the right one and I don't even need to expand it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if anybody found any smart way (or just a 'way') to use the space in the Vario pannier above the exhaust.
It is not buch but still it would be great to store a few tools or other stuff in there..
Hi

I used a 3mm sheet of plastic which i cut to shape and used velcro to hols it on the bottom left of the case. Put pump, torx set, first aid kit, and few other bits in the void above the exhaust when flat then fitted sheet....works a treat.

Can load a picture if anyones interested

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice one.
Personally, I remove the vario case, lay it flat open on a carpet or soft surface, stuff the crap out of it, then stick it back on the bike.
Things needed accessible are left in the tank bag or topcase.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just to be clear, we are talking about the vario case on RIGHT side next to exhaust?
Or is it the older models with exhaust on left side?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts