R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2021 1250 Rallye Adventure a few months, it’s fitted with off road tyres, after 3000km I am experiencing a vibration through the bike when cornering or leaning the bike, it seems to be worse at lower speed riding. Would this be caused from the off road tyres.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's most likely the tires. I also have a 2021 GSA Rallye. It came new with Continental TKC80s. At about 2.5k miles notice the same vibration and an increase in noise. The TKC80s have been by far the best performing off road tires I have used, HOWEVER they are almost worn out at 3k miles. I plan to go back to the Dunlop's for a good balance of off/on road performance but with with more durability. I will post again after I replace the tires.

My previous bike was a 2019 GSA that I rode about 18k miles. I did not notice the same vibration with the 3 sets of tires I used on that bike. They were 1) Michelin Anakee-3, Anakee-adventure, and Dunlop Trail-Max Mission tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tyre is the Continental TKC 80, sounds like the vibration is a characteristic of the tyre.

·
Super Moderator
1,152 Posts
The tyre is the Continental TKC 80, sounds like the vibration is a characteristic of the tyre.
Interesting that on my DR650 I find my TKC80 front (90/90-21 size) to hum a bit when riding pavement straight and quiet down once leaned in a little. Hard to tell why knobby tires sound the way they do.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
193 Posts
Interesting that on my DR650 I find my TKC80 front (90/90-21 size) to hum a bit when riding pavement straight and quiet down once leaned in a little. Hard to tell why knobby tires sound the way they do.
The same when I ran Anakee Wilds. Just leaning a little and they almost were tolerable for noise.

Reactions: Krons

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feed back. 2200km of the 3000km were all on very rough off road. I might put the front wheel from my fathers 2021 GS to satisfy myself, its a Tripple Black and has the original fit tyres with 5000km.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Krons.. My question is sort of related to the thread, off rd tyres & longevity... Just lately I've been considering getting a set of off rd hoops, in your or others opinion what tyre brand delivers the best mileage/longeivity... Cheers...

·
Super Moderator
1,152 Posts
Hi Krons.. My question is sort of related to the thread, off rd tyres & longevity... Just lately I've been considering getting a set of off rd hoops, in your or others opinion what tyre brand delivers the best mileage/longeivity... Cheers...
I've yet to find a "knobby" that delivers more than 3500 miles on a rear tire. (Some get more but not my experience.) Some like the Heidenau K60 but others don't like their performance on wet tarmac.

My personal favorite is a Mitas E-07+ rear and TKC80 front for a 50/50. Both tires should deliver 5-6000 miles with solid performance on and off pavement.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I ran Michelin Wilds on my '14 GSA during my trip from NC to Alaska and back in '16. I had a new set installed in Seattle and rode from there to Atigun Pass. Returning to Fairbanks, Dan Armstrong installed a new Wild rear even though it still had a couple of thousand miles left. When I got back to North Carolina, the front has 9,231 miles on it. The rear tire Dan installed after 5,353 miles still has a few miles left.
[IMG]

[IMG]

Obviously, your results may vary depending on your wrist's activities. These tires never let us down in wet or dry conditions on pavement or in the dirt. Finishing off that 7-week ride, I called on those Wilds riding "The Dragon" and they were fine.
[IMG]

I hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've yet to find a "knobby" that delivers more than 3500 miles on a rear tire. (Some get more but not my experience.) Some like the Heidenau K60 but others don't like their performance on wet tarmac.

My personal favorite is a Mitas E-07+ rear and TKC80 front for a 50/50. Both tires should deliver 5-6000 miles with solid performance on and off pavement.
Thanks Krons. I was leaning towards the Mittis, just wanted some real world advice! Cheers mate... (y)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ran Michelin Wilds on my '14 GSA during my trip from NC to Alaska and back in '16. I had a new set installed in Seattle and rode from there to Atigun Pass. Returning to Fairbanks, Dan Armstrong installed a new Wild rear even though it still had a couple of thousand miles left. When I got back to North Carolina, the front has 9,231 miles on it. The rear tire Dan installed after 5,353 miles still has a few miles left.
[IMG]

[IMG]

Obviously, your results may vary depending on your wrist's activities. These tires never let us down in wet or dry conditions on pavement or in the dirt. Finishing off that 7-week ride, I called on those Wilds riding "The Dragon" and they were fine.
[IMG]

I hope this helps.

Mike
Thanks for your story Mike, appreciated.. Cheers..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts