R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GSers,

I've noticed that the VIN (steering head) on my new-to-me 2005 R1200GS appears to be a tape, and it's starting to peel off on both ends. Is the VIN actually taped on, or is the tape a "protective cover" for the stamped VIN? TIA

Dennis

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
GSers,

I've noticed that the VIN (steering head) on my new-to-me 2005 R1200GS appears to be a tape, and it's starting to peel off on both ends. Is the VIN actually taped on, or is the tape a "protective cover" for the stamped VIN? TIA

Dennis
It should be stamped on the frame, but maybe not at that location.

Bumblebee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bumblebee.

I'll have to keep looking and in the meantime just keep an eye on the "tape" version.

Dennis

·
Not that senior.
690 Posts
left hand side.

I think the plate is on the left hand side, just behind the cover where your left knee would be. It should never be a tape, but a stamped plate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gday,

This is what I'm talking about; it's under the handlebars. It looks like an embossed tape to me and I'm concerned about it coming off or being questioned if I sell or trade the bike.

Opinions?

Dennis

Attachments

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
Now that's exactly like my '06 RT. It's stamped into the frame, that's a protective cover. As you can see the tape is clear. When you peal it away you'd still be able to see the VIN, but the stamped numbers might rust?

- BB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, BB,

I feel better now. I think the rust has already started on one end, so maybe I need to re-cover the whole thing. At least I think I'll cut off the peeling part.

Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts