R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think you’ll love it. I carry a heated jacket liner on every trip. I have a 20yr old Gerbing. I chill easily, and this makes the difference. Also is a nice layer even when not powered up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks like a good piece..let us know how it performs after some weather hits..looking to get some heated gear myself

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
I think you’ll love it. I carry a heated jacket liner on every trip. I have a 20yr old Gerbing. I chill easily, and this makes the difference. Also is a nice layer even when not powered up.
+1. You will think "How did I ride all this time in the cooler months without this"!

- Bumblebee

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Been using Warm and Safe for a couple of years. works well and customer service, if you should need it, is fantastic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Warm & Safe jacket pant and glove liners worked very well for me, replaced several layers of long underwear and kept me toasty at 33 degrees. I am working on best positioning for the remote so that knobs are not turned by the wind and my clutch hand can reach.

·
Not that senior.
703 Posts
Cold! what cold?

Down here in God's country, we have the opposite problem.
How to keep cool in summer.

Riding the bike every day is what i do, as i don't even own a car.

We often ride in temperatures up to 46c in mid summer here in Sydney, and i gotta tell you, i would sooner ride in cold weather than in hot.
I grew up in the UK, so riding in the cold and wet was what i was used to.
Mid winter is perfect riding weather here, usually in the mid teens, and up to low 20's centigrade through June and July.

Our main holiday season is over Christmas, and there are times when it is just too uncomfortable to have a ride of any length.
:grin2:

Reactions: lump_a_charcoal

·
Registered
163 Posts
Too hot!

If you have helmet communicators, it is fun to taunt your riding buddies (those without heated gear) and tell them when you are becoming "too hot" and need to turn down the heat controller a bit to stay comfortable!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Down here in God's country, we have the opposite problem.
How to keep cool in summer.

Riding the bike every day is what i do, as i don't even own a car.

We often ride in temperatures up to 46c in mid summer here in Sydney, and i gotta tell you, i would sooner ride in cold weather than in hot.
I grew up in the UK, so riding in the cold and wet was what i was used to.
Mid winter is perfect riding weather here, usually in the mid teens, and up to low 20's centigrade through June and July.

Our main holiday season is over Christmas, and there are times when it is just too uncomfortable to have a ride of any length.
:grin2:
I was having trouble preventing being over heated this past summer. Ordered a cooling vest from Cycle Gear. Soaked it and put on over an UnderArmor tee, under a vented jacket (not mesh). It was 97 degrees f. Although not air conditioning, it kept me quite comfortable for 3 hours. On long rides I carry it presoaked in a zip lock bag. Pull it out when the heat becomes a problem. If I need longer use, I put it back in bag and pour in some water.

·
Not that senior.
703 Posts
Liquid cooled !

I use the same things.
My 2010 is not liquid cooled, but in summer, i sure am.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warm & Safe jacket pant and glove liners worked very well for me, replaced several layers of long underwear and kept me toasty at 33 degrees. I am working on best positioning for the remote so that knobs are not turned by the wind and my clutch hand can reach.
In your opinion where exactly would you recommend placing it??

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was having trouble preventing being over heated this past summer. Ordered a cooling vest from Cycle Gear. Soaked it and put on over an UnderArmor tee, under a vented jacket (not mesh). It was 97 degrees f. Although not air conditioning, it kept me quite comfortable for 3 hours. On long rides I carry it presoaked in a zip lock bag. Pull it out when the heat becomes a problem. If I need longer use, I put it back in bag and pour in some water.
This is a great idea that I will have to try out next summer

·
Registered
660 Posts
One more thing on the cooling vest....I live in an arid area with generally low humidity. I’ve not used it in a humid climate. Not sure how it would work in a high humidity area, but would suppose it would work as long as you’re moving air thru the jacket.

·
Survivor
782 Posts
One more thing on the cooling vest....I live in an arid area with generally low humidity. I’ve not used it in a humid climate. Not sure how it would work in a high humidity area, but would suppose it would work as long as you’re moving air thru the jacket.
They do not work well at all in a humid environment. Just like you see swamp coolers in Arizona but not Mississippi. Spousal Unit and I use them a great deal. In the arid west they are very effective, but when we cross a line from MN to eastern OK it becomes like being wrapped in a hot, wet blanket.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In your opinion where exactly would you recommend placing it??
I don't carry a tank bag, but if I did, I would clip it there. Since I dont use cruise control much, I would veer to the LHS of the bag.

For me, I plan to try the center of the handlebars for access and easy on off. When I shut the bike off, I want to be reminded to take it with me. Mounted somewhere near the LHS mirror would also work. Ill send a snap if if I can work that.

On me is best; so I dont leave it for someone to take. I had it attached to my suit but when youre wearing this gear youre usually wearing gloves and its difficult to quickly feel your way to the knobs without eyes on. If I had a belt on the outside of my suit, I would attach it low on RHS, again because I dont use cruise control and need to keep it out of the wind.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ptero, I do believe you are correct. I wonder if more airflow, such as a full mesh jacket would help?

·
Survivor
782 Posts
Ptero, I do believe you are correct. I wonder if more airflow, such as a full mesh jacket would help?
I don’t believe it would be very practical. The evaporative effect just is not there when the air is already saturated with moisture.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have no heated gear but a good pair of heated gloves would be first on my list, I don't know of any that get great reviews.
I do wear a cooling vest underneath a mesh Firstgear Adv jacket often in the summer when temps are 100+, I crossed the Mojave several times this past summer with temps in the 120F range and I don;t think that I could have made it without the vest, I'd make stops and use water hose (when I could find one) to literally soak myself and in less than hour even my socks and underwear were dry.

·
Survivor
782 Posts
I was stationed at the Army's National Training Center in the Mojave Desert for a few years. It is adjacent to the navy's China Lakes Weapons Station and just over the mountains from Death Valley. We worked 24 days on then got four days off. We spent most of our time in the desert in Humvees, with no top or windshield, herding armored units through their training rotations. When the heat got unbearable (which it did daily for about eight months of the year, I would pour a five gallon can of water on myself, while in full uniform and battle regalia, and drive thru the desert at 60 MPH. For a short while I would be chilled to the point of shivering uncontrollably, kinda like wearing a cooling vest on steroids.

Reactions: Vatu
1 - 20 of 46 Posts