R1200GS Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
30 Posts
I am new to the idea of Heated Gear. At 68 yo, I now chill easily on a bike and at home. Reading up on accessing a CanBus based socket to power the heated, so I wrote the following to Warm n Safe today:

"New to heated gear, have 2017 1200 gs lc, soon to install ezCAN. Pls direct me to a link to get fully educated on what I need in order to safely power your (Warm n Safe) gear on my BMW GS LC bike via the roller controller on the handlebar. Thanks in advance!"

The response I received was Warm n Safe's analysis of ezCAN as power feed:
  • Two high-power outputs (10A continuous/25A, max 20 seconds)
  • Two low-power outputs (4A continuous)
Warm n Safe recommendation: "Ok this will not work for heated gear. Nor will the BMW socket port on the bike because it is also too low power. Either wire the port directly to the battery or use our battery harness."

This is beginning to makes sense to me - heated gear will require and suck alot of Amps/Juice to heat my aging bones, so tagging direct into the battery is only alternative. However, anyone out there have any experience to say that Battery-Drawn amps/juice will not confound the BMW GS LC canbus? Is there a better way based on the deep collaborative of wisdom that I am able to be directed toward? Thanks in advance!
You'll be fine to wire direct to the battery without causing issues for your canbus. This past winter I purchased gear, wireless controller and harness from Gerbing and have been overjoyed at the realization of comfort in colder temps. The amp draw is less than 10 and your charging system can handle it easily. I am riding a '15 GS and my volts bounce between 14.1-14.2 even when powering my gloves, jacket, grip heaters and Denali Aux lights.
Thanks to finally wiring this gear up I've added 3 more months of riding - it's not even May here in VT and I've already logged 1,500 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You'll be fine to wire direct to the battery without causing issues for your canbus. This past winter I purchased gear, wireless controller and harness from Gerbing and have been overjoyed at the realization of comfort in colder temps. The amp draw is less than 10 and your charging system can handle it easily. I am riding a '15 GS and my volts bounce between 14.1-14.2 even when powering my gloves, jacket, grip heaters and Denali Aux lights.
Thanks to finally wiring this gear up I've added 3 more months of riding - it's not even May here in VT and I've already logged 1,500 miles.
Hi there,

I'd strongly recommend Warm n Safe. Connects direct to the battery, hang a connector somewhere convenient and away you go. I'm a complete clot mechanics and electrics, but managed to fit the necessary with some ease.Very good gear and most importantly, very warm, with excellent no fuss remote control. I'm a mere spring chicken at 65 but the bones do start to feel the chill ;-)

Stay safe and well.

Tony

·
Registered
163 Posts
My heated jacket's heating circuit measures 3.5 ohms (alone), and with the heated gloves added--presumably in parallel--2.5 ohms. !4.2v/2.5= 6 amps, so indeed too much power for the DIN socket. And some folks add other heated garments, like pants, besides. Everyone takes power directly from the battery (either directly, or via hexEZCan or other relay, for example) in which case the CANBus is not involved. You definitely nead a heat controller--an off/on switch would not be practical by itself.

I always show 14.2 volts (Via the Nav VI screen), even at idle with lights and my heated gear "on" so the alternator seems to have adequate capacity. If you take too much current from the DIN socket the electronic circuit breaker will trip and will have to be reset by turning the bike "off" and then back "on.", wh

I use a Hex EZCan as a controller. These take their power directly from the battery, and can be adjusted via the Wunderwheel. However, you really need a feedback loop with the heat (I believe) so I rigged an incandescent pilot lamp into the heated gear circuit that I can monitor while I am twisting the Wunderwheel. Alternatively, a manual controller with detents or lights could work, but you don't want to be looking down while you are adjusting your heat! You will need to adjust heat while riding so I don't think the cellphone based adjustment schemes sound practical.

The HexEZCan's can use either of two circuits (lights 1 or lights 2) for heated garments controlled by the Wundersheel, and they also can control heat via the heated grips switch. My '17 R1200GS only has two-levels of grip heat so I used the lights 1 via the Wunderwheel approach.

I just last week finished a 4700 mile ride where temps got below zero in the morning, but mostly around 50 in the afternoon.. You can really get cold-soaked if you don't have heated gear. I also use the muffs over the grips in winter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
790F4BB2-F2C0-4FCD-A177-838D71D2108F.jpeg

I have been using warm and safe heated jacket for years and you can’t beat their wireless controller. I have it mounted in my tank bag and it works perfectly.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts