R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a stock, 2007 R1200GS. I bought it from the original owner 4 years ago and also had the fuel pump, rear hub and one other recall done. About a month ago, I kept smelling raw gasoline while i was running the bike or after I shut it down. I had just filled it with fuel so I ignored the issue thinking it was venting. WELL, I was DANGEROUSLY WRONG! The next time I rode it and smelled fuel, I looked down at the engine and to my horror, raw gasoline was dripping on the RIGHT Cylinder and header pipe, as you are sitting on the bike. I hustled home and started stripping off the black tank covers thinking the fuel pump might be leaking, but it wasn't. I pulled off the right black tank side cover and there was this high fuel pressure, quick disconnect spraying fuel out while the engine was running. I first thought the O-ring might be leaking so I separated it and re seated it back together. Started the bike and fuel was spraying. I pushed on the male fitting and it sprayed more.
I separated the fittings again and closely looked at the PLASTIC Male fitting and saw that it was cracked where the metal holding clip on the female coupler rested on it. This to me is a VERY Pi$$ Poor thing that BMW did, especially on a high pressure fuel line. My bike only has 29,000 miles on it and never laid down.
I went online, found the Parts FICHE for my bike. I looked up the parts online and found out that the replacement MALE fitting id NOW made from CAST STEEL. I looked up on BMW recall site and saw NOTHING about this issue. This part could at anytime fail, catch you and your bike on fire! I am going to get a hold of BMW and see what they have to say and I will probably get in contact with the Department of transportation or whomever is the agency that sets up recalls.
I replaced the Male and Female coupler and bought two squeeze clamps which I recommend using. I bought the parts from BMW. There was a foam cover that was gas soaked and I replaced that too.

Here is the procedure I used to fix it.
SAFETY FIRST! Obviously you are working with GASOLINE and it is FLAMMABLE (DUH) and it can be under some residual pressure behind the old couplers. So wear Safety glasses and have rags to soak up any gasoline.

As you can see in the first picture the leakage just from sitting. Second picture, with the MALE fitting removed, I just barely pushed on the fitting and it BROKE OFF!
To remove the fittings, without cutting the fuel lines, you first have to remove the factory squeeze hose clamps. I took a set of heavy side cutters and cut the clamp at the squeezed loop. CAREFUL, the clamps once cut are SHARP.
The fittings don't just pull out easily. They are like the Chinese finger trap, the harder you pull the hose stretches and shrinks harder on the fitting. So you need to hold the fitting with some pliers and try to PUSH the fuel line off while turning the fitting back and forth. I installed the new foam piece, the new squeeze clamp and the new METAL male fitting. I have a set of Knipex pinch pliers that I used for CV joint boot clamps and for these fuel line clamps. DON'T use side cutters as they are sharp. If that is all you have then sacrifice them by grinding the sharp edge down so it will clamp and not cut the new clamp. Face the pinch part of the clamp outward so it doesn't rub a hole in the black plastic fuel tank. Repeat the procedure with the FEMALE coupler, should you decide to replace it also. For $39.00, I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I put a thin film of grease on the new Oring that is on the male fitting. I reassembled the coupler, made sure the lock clip locked on the female coupler. I started the engine and watched it for a few minutes. While running, I wiggled the coupler to make sure no leaks. I slid the foam piece over the male fitting, I guess it keeps it from rubbing on the tank.
These PARTS seem to cover 2007-2009 GS and the male part is seen on the GSA. YOU decide what you have and I would HIGHLY recommend checking YOUR bike for the PLASTIC male fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
To bad about the fuel leak. The plastic quick connects are shit. Was told a while back to change it the first time I have the tank off. Lasted 65000km but for the piece of mind I'm chuckin the plastic. They've been using plastic quick connects in boats forever and I've had one leaker in a life time and thats after 1000's of dis and re connects. You think BMW could pull it off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Replacement of Quick-Disconnects

It's almost standard practise on the earlier models to replace the quick-disconnects with metal. It's not a costly exercise when considering the nasty outcomes that can occur.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, Does anyone know haw many plastic quick disconnects there are on a 2007 R1200GS?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't understand how they get away with this. There was a recall on the old K bikes (my 2003 K1200RS) for the same crap plastic. I had already nearly self immolated and replaced with metal fittings readily available on the market. I guess I'll have to do the same for my '18 GS ?

Thanks for posting this - I'll mention my concern to my trusty local service guy and have him give the current equipment a careful once over.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I"m certainly no chemical engineer but I'm of the opinion that ethanol is the culprit in making the OEM quick disconnects brittle. I inquired on a British forum a few years ago if they had the same issues and no one did. We, in the US, have also had problems with some of the plastic fuel tanks becoming deformed and many believe it's because of the aforementioned. Proceed with caution.:grin2:

Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
I’m with mike...that ethanol wreaks havoc with plastic and rubber...I’ve managed to run ethanol free fuel 95% of the time and when I have to use it I run it out ASAP and never let it sit in the system...so far so good, i will definitely keep an eye on this moving forwards though...thanks for the heads up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts