R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GSA is going on 3 years old. Wanted to find out if buying an extended warranty is worthwhile. i plan on keeping the bike indefinitely. I am not so sure about my local dealer staying in business.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't have a specific recommendation on which extended warranty to buy (if any) but they are all third-party warranty companies, so it doesn't matter if your dealer goes out of business or not, even if you buy it from them. You just want a reputable company, and one that your potential new dealer knows how to work with to get reimbursed.

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
RPMOne is typically mentioned positively.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
172 Posts
I purchased a 3 year warranty extension through RPM Plus for $868 for my 2019 R1250 GSA. Diamond Coverage and zero $$ deductible.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Depends how many miles you ride a year. My 2014 had $5000 is warranty claims during the first 60K miles. If the LED headlight goes $2000. If stator goes $2500. I have 90k miles and no further issues out of warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RPMOne is typically mentioned positively.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
The biggest advice I can give about these warranties is that there is a huge amount of dealer mark-up on them and they will negotiate on price to sell them (even if they won't on selling the bike). I've purchased a zero deduct 2 year add on warranty from Zurich for about half the original asking price from the dealer just because I was willing to walk away for anything more. I sold that bike with a year left on that warranty and promptly got the prorated portion refunded from Zurich.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I thought about this for a long time too. Decided not to mostly because I have never had any issues in the past that I couldn't pay myself. Also I have a great local BMW dealer who takes care of my bike when needed.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
172 Posts
I ride a lot of miles and when I used to ride Harley's, I would sometimes go thru 3 motors in a span of 50K miles. Note that I have never had any issues with my BMW's, but having an extended warranty is peace of mind for me and it's transferable if I sell the bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody hear of patriot warranty?
its a bit higher in price than the numbers I saw here

·
Registered
13 Posts
My GSA is going on 3 years old. Wanted to find out if buying an extended warranty is worthwhile. i plan on keeping the bike indefinitely. I am not so sure about my local dealer staying in business.
Any suggestions?
Any suggestions?
I have a 2014 R1200GS with over 94,000 (s)miles and the only recurring concern is the batteries on the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (replaced 4 times with tire changes). Otherwise no issues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 2014 R1200GS with over 94,000 (s)miles and the only recurring concern is the batteries on the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (replaced 4 times with tire changes). Otherwise no issues.
The OP didn’t ask for anecdotes, he asked for warranty info. Because our BMWs aren’t costly to maintain or repair...until they are.

Read up on Final Drive horrors

What is Peace of Mind worth to you?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The OP didn’t ask for anecdotes, he asked for warranty info. Because our BMWs aren’t costly to maintain or repair...until they are.

Read up on Final Drive horrors

What is Peace of Mind worth to you?
Thanks for standing up and calarifying the questio.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anybody hear of patriot warranty?
its a bit higher in price than the numbers I saw here
So patriot dropped the premium from $1600 to $800 after a few contacts. Has anybody used patriot?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
153 Posts
So patriot dropped the premium from $1600 to $800 after a few contacts. Has anybody used patriot?

Thanks in advance
Hmmmm, interesting. The main thing is ensuring your dealer—the folks who will be doing any repairs—accepts it.

Call them first to verify they’re familiar with and accept Patriot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts