R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its warming up and I am going to put away my Carlsbad jacket and pant for the summer in favor of my mesh jacket and pants.
I want to wash them prior to stowing them. I have done some research and the most popular products are Revivex and Nikwax.
One sight said just wash with a little liquid detergent, air dry, then tumble dry on low to re-activate the waterproof properties?
Wondering what you guys have used or recommend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I'm washing my goretex stuff in tech-textile detergents like nikiwax or eqivalent from decathlon (european brand). You can find it on hiking dept. I never use standard detergents or softeners, it can block membrane and reduce breathability. I also let it dry without thumble dryer to avoid mechanical fatigue on membrane.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was about to write what I do in cleaning my military Gore-Tex rain gear and Aerostich riding stuff. But I saw what another rider posted and it reminded me that we should use what the manufacturer recommends.

Aerostich is pretty clear on how to clean their gear. And I know what the USMC suggests…though I’m unsure what Klim says to do.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
179 Posts
I use the NikWax Detergent and it really does a great job removing the dirt and grime
This certainly falls within the KLIM recommended care instructions.
I then dry as KLIM directs.
And as KLIM suggests I use NikWax Softshell Proof Spray On to restore the DWR in my garments. SoftShell Proof™ Spray-On

I've used Revivex in the past, it works the same way but the NikWax detergent is the best I've found.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
27 Posts
Wash it?!?! And take away all your street cred? We're not on the K-bikes anymore! Just hang it in the closet.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Wash it?!?! And take away all your street cred? We're not on the K-bikes anymore! Just hang it in the closet.
Yeah, but sometimes it do get a bit stinky if I haven't ridden in some hard rain recently 😎

·
Registered
2 Posts
Counter intuitive as it may seem, the KLIM rep I was talking with a while back said you need to wash it to MAINTAIN its water resistance and breath-ability. Not washing ends up with a less effective product. All this time I was doing it wrong and I didn't need to have stinky gear...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another vote for Nikwax. I’ve been using it for over 20 years on all of my Gore Tex gear and it works as expected every time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
So its warming up and I am going to put away my Carlsbad jacket and pant for the summer in favor of my mesh jacket and pants.
I want to wash them prior to stowing them. I have done some research and the most popular products are Revivex and Nikwax.
One sight said just wash with a little liquid detergent, air dry, then tumble dry on low to re-activate the waterproof properties?
Wondering what you guys have used or recommend.
I was told to use organic detergent and tumble dry activates the gortex

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all.
I have ordered some Nikwax.
Plan on washing pant and jacket then drying them both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Klim says to wash and then dry in the dryer. This restores the waterproof features. I have used regular detergent on a traverse jacket and pants for 12 years and it works fine.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
179 Posts
Klim says to wash and then dry in the dryer. This restores the waterproof features. I have used regular detergent on a traverse jacket and pants for 12 years and it works fine.
I used to use regular detergent too, then I tried the NikWax detergent and it worked much better.
Drying in the dryer does work to restore the garments DWR, adding the NikWax Softshell Proof Spray after drying works even better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts