R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Vancouver B.C. I decided to drive my 2016 BMW R1200GSA through the United States to St Johns Newfoundland and back to Vancouver. In August 2016 I was in South Dakota driving to the entrance of Badlands National Park. I passed the sign and thought, man, that would make a nice picture. It was 105 F. and very windy. I drove back to the sign and put my bike on the side stand right nest to the sign. As I was focusing the camera, the wind blew my bike over and the bike crashed against the sign! I was horrified at what I saw because from where I was standing it looked like the gas tank crashed against the sign. I ran over to the bike and tried to lift it upright but it was too heavy so I started tearing all of the luggage off the bike. When I got the luggage off, I could only lift the bike a little so I panicked and lunged at the bike with all of my strength. I felt something twing in my left arm and watched my left bicep slowly move up to my shoulder!! I snapped the tendon holding my bicep to my elbow. I gave up lifting the bike. Eventually two guys on Harleys stopped and helped me get the back back upright. I went into the park that night and set up my tent. The next day, I headed back to Vancouver to get my arm fixed. The good news is I tried doing the trip again in May 2017 and I made it from Vancouver to St. Johns Newfoundland and back in 6 weeks and 17,500 kilometers.

Attachments

·
Not that senior.
701 Posts
Wrong . Wrong.wrong

There are plenty of videos on here on how to lift a bike off the ground safely.
I suggest you google it, if you haven't already, just in case you have to do that again.
I have to pick mine up of the ground at least once a month, so i have got it down pat now.

Good to hear you have healed ok, and completed the ride.

Reactions: happyjoe

·
Registered
143 Posts
Was the gas tank (or other part of the bike) damaged? Sorry to hear about your arm - how's the recovery going?

·
Fisherman on 2 wheels!
162 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a GSA and it's the lower version to boot. I have to pay very close attention to how I park it as well, always trying as much as it is possible to park at a slight decline towards the kickstand side. I also have a Wunderlich foot pad and with the 3 little spikes on the bottom of those that actually raise it ever so slightly so even a flat surface it is sometimes sketchy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. But the positive side to this is that you can learn a lot.

1. Never panic. Do not attempt to lift bike or do anything quickly once an accident happened. It is human nature to try to rectify the error, but believe me, if you take some minutes to calm down, you can save yourself and your bike from more damage.

The only exception to this is if you or the fallen bike is in danger of making more accidents or damage, then try to remove the bike quickly.

2. Learn to lift the heavy bike in a proper way. As someone said here, google / youtube search it.

3. You can always wait for help. Usually bikers who see a fallen comrade will stop and assist. (some are laughing their ass off, because they scored a good campfire story)

4. Always park the bike in a good way, especially if there are huge winds around. Also get the side-stand extensions (eg: Touratech, Wunderlich all kinds of brands have this) for only say 30-50usd. Some innovative people even build their own (I call them cheapos)

5. Stay safe and ride safe. If needed, visit the gym sometimes for building some arm and torso muscles.
:grin2:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Riding down the west coast of Newfoundland and stopped along the cliffs to take a pic and as I stepped off the wind nearly sent it over. That was the strongest steady wind I have experienced, brutal day of riding.

Even fully loaded I don't have a problem lifting the bike with the correct technique. It doesn't hurt to build up some leg strength by doing squats, don't need weights, just do them several times a day.

·
Lifetime Rider of Bikes
42 Posts
South Dakota = Wind apparently

My friend and I left Georgia and road west south west to SanFrancisco then up to Vancouver in mid may and visited Vancouver while near by . We then went to Masoula Montana for a service on the bike and on his HD as well and then went across South Dakota and visited the bad lands similar to your trip . I asked a local if the winds blew this hard and constant always and he said it did pretty much all the time. How the heck I wondered do you enjoy a motorbike in that and of wind. It was hard to even stay in a lane and passing trucks was very sketchy at best. When the wind was in front of us we really used a LOT more fuel as well. Next time I willl probably avoid SD altogether. LOL
Ditto on the how to pick up a bike video. There are lots of opinions but I have learned to do the lifting with my legs when possible if alone . Hernias are not worth it. l

cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
I dropped my GSA a couple of weeks ago in some thick, loose, washed gravel. Couldn't get a foothold, especially with a weak leg from back surgery in November. Got out my Dirtnapper Jack from the pannnier and picked up that iron pig slicker'n snot. Took longer to get it back in the sack than to put it together and pick up the bike. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
33 Posts
that's the only thing about these big massive beasts that scare me. I'm not a fairly large guy in stature and having to sit on top of a 530+ lb. bike and keep it balanced on some weird angles always gives me the hebeejebees... I was at a light on the way home from just picking up the bike and a strong gust caught me and I can feel the weight of the bike as it leaned over with the wind. I really had to brace myself and lean it over to the opposite side just to keep it upright. Anyways, I'm hoping that the crash bars that I bought for her would help out in that one occasion that I don't catch it right on time. Anyway, ride safe out there. Cheers!

·
Old Man on a Bike
25 Posts
I dropped my GSA a couple of weeks ago in some thick, loose, washed gravel. Couldn't get a foothold, especially with a weak leg from back surgery in November. Got out my Dirtnapper Jack from the pannnier and picked up that iron pig slicker'n snot. Took longer to get it back in the sack than to put it together and pick up the bike. Worth every penny.
RE: Bold, Never heard of that... had to google it. Interesting device! I wonder if the ratchet strap were replaced with a (crank with ratchet) if it wouldn't be more user friendly. The drum could be big enough to wind the whole length of the strap. Also the increasing diameter as the strap winds would afford a variable gear reduction that would reduce initial effort, yet gain speed as the load lessened when the bike transitioned to upright.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me like! Really, whats another 4 lbs when you have an iron mule..Ha!,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dropped my GSA trying to turn around on a (flat) gravel parking lot. I know how to pick up a big bike. I've used the technique on a Goldwing, a K1600, RTs, and GSAs and it works. But this time I couldn't get my pig up, not sure exactly what the issue was. Then I pulled a groin muscle. I decided to unload it (duh!) and try again - success. Put everything back on, mount the bike (oh, the pain) and head for the nearest motel, spent the evening with a crotch full of ice cubes and a bottle of Aleve. Lucky for me it was just a minor pull, only bothered me 3-4 days.

Physical fitness is important. It's easy to think riding is all about situational awareness and fine motor skills. It is, until you get below 1 mph - that's when physical strength and how to take advantage of it is important. Leg lifts (front and side), squats, pushups, planks - I find that lower and upper back issues go away the stronger I am.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
135 Posts
In my opinion, the DirtNapper is a piece of crap and a waste of money. I only purchased it because the vendor assured me it would safely lift a 600 lb bike (like my 2019 R1250 GSA). Mine worked once and on the second and third time I had to use it, the strap broke. I only got out of a tough situation because I knotted the breaks together. I contacted the vendor and asked for my money back and the vendor said he would replace it and wanted the hardware back for analysis. I sent the defective hardware back to him on my own dime but I told him I didn't want a replacement. It's been 6 months now and I have never heard back from him.

There are stronger/beefier lifting devices out there than the DirtNapper.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mark_M, I got tired of waiting on the dirtnapper never being available and long wait times after payment made and with more research found these people had a stronger, similar set up. Weight is 7#'s 12 ounces, but I had the motobikejack in 3 days. It's much more heavy duty than the dirtnapper.

https://www.motobikejack.com/

https://youtu.be/KNZGYyMNlDk

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
Cheap solution

I keep a 4" x 4" piece of plywood in my tankbag for this very reason. Can throw it down on loose surfaces an not worry of a tipover.

1. Take a breath and keep calm
2. Watch videos on techniques
3. If needed wait for help

I ride solo alot...I think #1 is most important.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts