R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just got this 2012 r1200gs. I’ve only owned Harleys til now. I’m loving this bike. I’m guessing this is a “bat tender” port? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is the DIN plug for accessories like heated vest ,tire pump ,cell charger etc but you need the adapter first

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the DIN plug for accessories like heated vest ,tire pump ,cell charger etc but you need the adapter first
Thanks so much for getting back. Appreciate it!
That's the euro version of our 12v cig sockets. Adapters, change it to what you need, or use something with a din plug. Tons of adapters. Just an example Amazon.com: 3.3 Amp Hella DIN Plug to Dual Port USB Charger Shorty Socket, Compatible with BMW Motorcycles
Man thanks so much. That makes sense. Really appreciate ya gettin back to me.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
160 Posts
A few things to know about that socket, I'm talking about my 2009 r1200gs (might be different on more recent liquid cooled models)

- It is controlled by the ZFU (the electronic module controlling all the electricity) and is limited to 5A. There is no fuse, if more than 5A are requested, the ZFU shuts it down. Turn the bike OFF then back ON to reset.

- The socket is powered as soon as the bike is switched on. The power stays for around 5 minutes after shutting the bike off.

- If you want to use that socket to charge/maintain the battery, you need a BMW charger that 'communicate' with the socket to tell the ZFU to send power to the battery (I think that some other companies are producing compatible chargers).

- There is plenty of space behind, you can enlarge the hole and replace it by a regular lighter socket. I did that and, powered the lighter socket directy from the battery, fused at 15A, which is the maximum for the socket that I used. Now I can use my compressor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts