R1200GS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
2019 R1250 GSA
121 Posts
While waiting for the rain to stop:

I've installed BMW Radiator Guards, large side stand foot, VStream Windscreen, RKA Shiloh Tank Bag, Smartskin Grips (Grip Puppy's) and a Wunderlich Rear Splash Guard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Man, that's exactly what I was thinking!
Also, putting all those bolts and screws in some makeshift cardboard cutout to keep them straight, or some jar-hoping you can remember- and trying your damndest not to kick it over, while praying to St Alphonsus, the patron saint of missing and extra screws, that all goes well.

I've had my previous roadsters that undressed, but not the GS. I salute you BikerBoy!

Snow? huh? 56 and sunny Way Down Yonder.:grin2: Little chilly, need a jacket.

But I am watching this as there may be a horn in my future.
Many ways to keep track of all those screws...I use the green ( less sticky ) masking tape, turn it sticky side up and write what part of the bike it's from.. If a lot different screws on same part ie. tank cover I just put them in order ..Notice tank cover longest screw at the front..
I also keep screws with parts where possible .. Note 2 screws in mirror..also screw in radiator cap cover

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Many ways to keep track of all those screws...I use the green ( less sticky ) masking tape, turn it sticky side up and write what part of the bike it's from.. If a lot different screws on same part ie. tank cover I just put them in order ..Notice tank cover longest screw at the front..
I also keep screws with parts where possible .. Note 2 screws in mirror..
Great idea!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok... Meant to do this to the 14 GSA but never got around to it..I wanted to add more lighting and do something with the Anemic Fing horns BMW supplies... Anyway I don't ride a lot at nite -But just the most interesting man in the world- But when I do I want to SEE EVERYTHING.. especially those four legged creatures ,called deer, that are hiding in the woods just waiting for us.. Then I can scare the shit out of them with the horn,.... Anyway after a lot of research I settled on the Denali D-4's snd put on a Denali mini soundbomb which will go off in tandem with the stock horn... Since I was doing Denali I got the Denali Can Smart ..from Twisted ...Finally stripped everything off and will keep the troops updated.... Oh and figured while I was at it Powder Coat the upper crash bars and the Handlebars.. FYI the stock Bike was prettied up with Signature CD Massai Decal kit!!

To continue on with my "snow day project" of adding D4's ,Mini Sound Bomb , Powder coating Handle bars, crash bars et al ... I decided to add another little side project.. Now after having a 14 GSA and now the 18 GSA , I found them very noisey - the 14 slightly more than the 18.. Need to wear earplugs otherwise sounds like someone threw a handful of bolts in the engine... Anyway I feel most of this is attributed to the Aluminum Tank of the GSA and the shape almost lends itself to a loudspeaker..see pic below.. So after doing some minor internet research I' going to experiment with putting the "hushmat" or/and Noico 170ml mat on the front section of the tank..there is about 1/2 inch + - between the tank and airbox...Will see how it works and I will report back to the troops.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
snow day update

UPDATE : Got the parts back from my powdercoater Tom, I chose the black with a "slight texture" and as usual they came back great.. Tom has done complete frames for me along with dozens of other parts and they all are done great.. He's a one man shop and does a LOT of cycle and automotive work.
The other picture is of the tank in place with the gap showing where I will put the soundproofing..

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
snow day update

continuing the build I reattached powder coated handle bars... To be honest I had to fiddle around with the switches , small connectors , which is top /bottom WTF anyway got it to all sorted out and ran the wires back,,not really an issue in my mind ..Ran the horn and D4 light wires back on the left side into the cavity under the passenger seat and the Denali CanSmart battery connection on the right side from the TPM site back to the battery.. There is room on both sides between the plastic fender and the frame.. In one picture you can see I attached a zip tie to the wiring to thread it thru the cavity.. On the Cansmart side I folded back and taped the fuse holder to the wire to make the profile smaller... Of course I will neaten it up and zip tie wires .. green tape is only on there so you can identify wires.. turned bike on and you can see lights.. And the Mini sound Bomb sounds with the stock horn together WOW really great.. Have no idea whay anyone would need more..

Powder Coated Bars

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had some Xpel PPF installed and installed my Givi Tankloc ring for my XS320 tank bag. Not sure if I'm going to do much else for add-on; R1200GS accessories are stupid expensive, starting to wish I'd kept my Multistrada.

·
War is the answer!
96 Posts
Replaced my stickers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally got the Denali B6 tail lite attached to my 18 GSA..pretty easy to lowere the license bracket feed the line up thru the taillight and connect it to the Denali CANsmart...nice part was you could connect it to your computer and configure all the taillight auxiliary light functions to your style of riding

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is how I did it lowered license bracket by loosening 2 screws , drilled one of the drain holes larger to fit wiring loom, threaded wire thru bottom of existing hole in taillight, then under back cover to the Denali CANsmart

Attachments

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
125 Posts
I did a little adjusting and Farkle modification today.

My side stand is too long, I have a Std GS Adv which the previous owner lowered by replacing the springs. When in One Helmet or One Helmet plus Luggage the bike was precariously vertical.
Taking a leaf out of another inmates notebook I removed the side stand and did a little grinding on the side stand pivot stop allowing the stand to swing a little further forward when down and thus effectively shortening its length.
While the stand was off I also corrected another issue. After installing BDCW foot pegs the pin used to deploy the side stand was too close to the footpeg which made it difficult to deploy the side stand especially when in extremis on a slope etc. I cut off the pin, moved it up about an inch and a half and welded it back on. Problem solved. The pin is now easily heel accessible between the Shift lever and the Foot Peg.
https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22961
https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22959

Due to my own stupidity, I lost a Radar Detector while on my recent Flight from Winter. The RD had survived for 65,000 miles on my FJR using 3M Dual Lock (HD Velcro like the stuff that comes with your EZ-Pass) on the Brake Master Cylinder Cover. A good friend made me a stealthy mount for the GSA, I added said Dual Lock and thought I was good to go, a rough gravel road in New Mexico disabused me of my notion of readiness. I looked down and the RD was MIA. I rethought the mount and procured the requisite RAM balls and arms and combined them with the Factory Bayonet Mount. A much better solution than the previous Dual Lock solution and this enables the Laser Detector to have a better shot down the Line of Advance.
https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22965
https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22963

Attachments

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Do radar detectors really work?
Good ones do. I run a Valentine One on my GSA and Spousal Unit has an Adaptive on her GS. The V1 not only alerts you, it also tells the direction the signal is coming from. They are not fool proof and you must pay attention to what it is doing and learn to interpret the signals it is sending. Having a LED alert light in your line of sight and/or an audio signal in your helmet is a big plus. I find they are more effective in the rural west where I live than in more densely populated areas. A well trained LEO professionally operating an instant on radar or laser can defeat the best detector, but quite often LEOs do not take full advantage of the capabilities of their equipment. I’ve been running a detector on motorcycles for about six years. I believe it has helped me avoid being stopped a couple of dozen times. I have been stopped only once while running a detector and that was because I was clocked by a trooper in an aircraft while in Nebraska. Didn’t get a ticket tho.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts