R1200GS Forum banner

What have you done to your R1200GS today?

69K views 284 replies 110 participants last post by  Redcard 
#1 ·
Can't believe this forum didn't have one of these threads!

Just a place to note down things you have done to your bike today. Always good to make dedicated threads of product reviews in the mods or accessories section though.

I put on some PR4 trails on my 2016 GS :)

Got some machineartmoto head covers and Wunderlich sidestand enlarger today...will hopefully put them on tonight and will make new threads.

#180 ·
Can't believe this forum didn't have one of these threads!

Just a place to note down things you have done to your bike today. Always good to make dedicated threads of product reviews in the mods or accessories section though.

I put on some PR4 trails on my 2016 GS :)

Got some machineartmoto head covers and Wunderlich sidestand enlarger today...will hopefully put them on tonight and will make new threads.

HP4 Enduro end can. Just looks like it's sposed to be there. Quiet.

#181 ·
I bought the 2019 GS second hand, and it is already well dressed. I don't need to do anything major, although I'll eventually replace the lower engine guards with a full set of upper/lower guards. Also the metal color instead of black on the HP color scheme.

I have added the Zumo XT mount to the Nav prep, as well as a RAM/QuadLock setup for the phone. This matches my K1600B so I can easily move the devices between them.

#183 ·
Installed set 80mm waterproof fans behind oil cooler to pull air during summer stops in traffic - have not needed yet, but better to have than to need when not there.

#186 ·
Plug “footman loop” into the search bar and you may find what you are looking for like this.

#192 · (Edited)
It's a nice looking bag. I understand part of your concern-perhaps. I purchased a similar sized bag and thought it was too big-especially the height. My solution was to purchase SW-Motech's micro tank bag. I find it a good size given that the tank is relatively high to begin with. The micro tank bag provides just enough room for a phone, garage door opener, earplugs, etc.

#193 ·
Yesterday I decided that a puncture was overdue, bearing in mind I haven’t had one for several weeks. Cruising at a steady 60 mph I noticed a screw in the road. I immediately thought “wow that looks interesting” and decided to pick it up and take it home with me. The tyre pressure monitor on the bike informed me that my quest was successful. Tyre pressure had dropped from 2.8 bar to 2.3 bar with about eight miles to home by which time the pressure display was showing 2.1 bar. The whole dash was going ape shit. Flashing red and basically telling me to stop.

This morning I took my wheel to my local motorcycle tyre supplier and repairer. He felt so sorry for me that he repaired it for free since I have so many (second one so far this year). When I suggested that all future repairs should be free he unwisely offered to repair every twelfth one for nowt.

#210 ·
That would be cool. Just working out my black fly strategy; could mean postponing to September, though. I’ve navigated a rich insect world extensively in the Bolivian Amazon, but it wasn’t at 100km/h. Have you decided on eastern Canada over your Tuk plans, or are you planning both?

#214 · (Edited)
1 owner 2020 R1250GSA Kalamata. Bone stock, newer tires fully optioned with the Touring, Dynamic, Exclusive and Premium packages. Along with the LED headlight package, NAV6 and all three panniers. It had 18,602 miles on it when I picked it up.

I will say even at bone stock the bike really doesn't need anything. I did spend $12 on a set of frame plugs of Amazon and want to get the following:

• Cockpit cover,
  • Windscreen brace
  • Anti-bibe wireless phone mount/charger.
  • Aftermarket GS seat, heated would be nice.
  • Pillion plate so i can ditch the pillion seat and put a tail bag bag in its place.

I will say that even with this being a GSA the seat is narrower so the reach to the ground is more akin to my Hexhead GS. On a Hexhead GSA I was tippy toe. On this GSA I am more on the balls of my feet. I think with a standard GS seat I'll be a lot closer to flat footing.

Took it to work yesterday (40 miles of interstate) and cruise control is great. That was about my only stipulation if and when I got a new bike. Throttle locks work okay for a few seconds but true electronic cruise control is zen. I will also say the 1250 motor is impressive and gets things moving to "award" speeds in seconds. Its also very forgiving if you are in two gears to high just roll the throttle and it will tractor on like nothing is wrong.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#217 ·
Didn't think the GSA and GS seats were different, interesting. My 21 GS Rallye has the sport suspension and heated/comfort seats. In auto setting I am balls of my feet. (6 ft, 32" inseam) On my 14 GS, 1 rider with bags, I can almost flat foot, not quite. That's with both seats in low, low position.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

Reactions: Papabear278
#219 · (Edited)
I mounted the Touratech Evo X 45L cases on my 1250GS '22. I went for the TT because I can still use my Vario cases if I remove the rack, and I also think with the rounded off edges they matches the Vario top box which I likes a lot. Put some soft cell rubber on top of them for dry bags.
I Also mounted the TT lowered footpegs. I was a bit worried about the shift and brake pedal became to high, but with 25 mm lowered footpegs, the positon of both pedals feels much better, shifting became a lot easier and no need for adjustment. The released knee angle felt as a huge improvement. I was aslo a bit sceptical about footpegs without rubber, but they feels perfect.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bumper Wood

/rogerf