R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I've got a R1200gs Adventure (2009), and I own it for about a year.
I have dropped it (while parking or moving backwards) about 4 times and I haven't noticed any damages except for some scratches on the engine metal protectors and handguards.
Can it handle this kind of drops without damages or should I worry about bent handlebar /frame?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Recommend something to cover the heads however. Dropping the bike = no big deal on a flat surface. Dropping the bike and hitting a rock or something that the engine guards miss could equal a big 'ol hole and lots of leaking oil. Worth carrying a coin and some JB weld or steelstick if you don't pony up for some Ricochet engine protectors or something like that (those were my choice). Plenty of youtube videos documenting this - one that stands out - this guy took a brand new one for a test ride, parked it, it rolled off the kickstand, tipped and he ended up paying for a new head cover - cost him several hundred dollars - this was on pavement!

If you're not into deadlifting several hundred pounds, might invest in a dustrider motorcycle hoist. I'm a big dude and can lift my bike pretty easily with good traction. Put 'er down in some clay mud one day and struggled for a solid 2 plus hour to get enough traction under me (and dig pits for the wheels to fall into). I was out in the boonies, would have had to walk to get signal to try to call someone. Got it out and rode home and bought a hoist - keep it in my bags w/me now... just in case that happens again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recommend something to cover the heads however. Dropping the bike = no big deal on a flat surface. Dropping the bike and hitting a rock or something that the engine guards miss could equal a big 'ol hole and lots of leaking oil. Worth carrying a coin and some JB weld or steelstick if you don't pony up for some Ricochet engine protectors or something like that (those were my choice). Plenty of youtube videos documenting this - one that stands out - this guy took a brand new one for a test ride, parked it, it rolled off the kickstand, tipped and he ended up paying for a new head cover - cost him several hundred dollars - this was on pavement!

If you're not into deadlifting several hundred pounds, might invest in a dustrider motorcycle hoist. I'm a big dude and can lift my bike pretty easily with good traction. Put 'er down in some clay mud one day and struggled for a solid 2 plus hour to get enough traction under me (and dig pits for the wheels to fall into). I was out in the boonies, would have had to walk to get signal to try to call someone. Got it out and rode home and bought a hoist - keep it in my bags w/me now... just in case that happens again.
So the cylinder guards it already has might be not be enough?
I would never drive in mud on purpose exactly due to lack of friction, but yeah, you're right

·
Registered
61 Posts
So the cylinder guards it already has might be not be enough?
I would never drive in mud on purpose exactly due to lack of friction, but yeah, you're right
Altrider and others make braces that keep the OEM guards from hinging back onto the covers, and most aftermarket ones are designed so they really protect them in a drop.

No bike should suffer frame damage from a parking lot tipover/dirt(pavement) nap.

Learn how to pick up your bike without injuring yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos. You don't need a hoist if you stay on pavement. If you decide to toss it down a hill or screw up a water crossing, that's a different story.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
594 Posts
It is the embarrassment factor that hurts the most. I carry an inflatable exercise ball to assist the lift up in remote locales. Also carry a Cycle Press pump. Only have used it in a test. Works great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hell, I just dropped mine today. One of the sidestand bolts snapped and when I tried to put it up, over it went.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The exercise ball is a brilliant idea! I may have to give that a try - I wonder how it would have worked in my situation - do you just carry a tire inflator pump and a ball inflator needle? (can't think of the name).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah my driveway is gravel, and has a downward slope. I as I was hopping of with the engine running it just rolled off the kickstand. So I killed the engine and tried to lift it up, to no avail so she just laid there until I could get some help from my neighbor. Once I got her upright on the center stand I let her sit for about 30minutes or so to let the oil get back where it belongs and fired her up no problems. So from then on I kill the engine and put it gear while l open the garage. Just a couple of gravel marks on the engine guard, kinda gives her a little character.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts