R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Survivor
730 Posts
I believe that is a temperature sensor for some sort fueling modification device. There are a few on the market that are designed to trick the ECU into enriching the fuel mixture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I was told the bike had a Power Commander, but have been unable to locate the device. I will have to look further into this.

Thanks

·
Survivor
730 Posts
A Power Commander would have such a sensor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That looks very much like the temperature sensor for a BoosterPlug,
If so it will be plugged into the oem air temp sensor located near the airbox.
These things do work but are often fitted whether the bike needs them or not because they are fairly cheap and easy to fit.
Google BoosterPlug for plenty more info on the device.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's good, easy to remove if required.
My 2010 model did gain a bit of mid range power without the fuel consumption tasking a hit. The sensor shown in the pic to me is in the wrong place, it is better near the airbox. intake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good, easy to remove if required.
My 2010 model did gain a bit of mid range power without the fuel consumption tasking a hit. The sensor shown in the pic to me is in the wrong place, it is better near the airbox. intake.
Bike has a Remus Hexacone can which I put the decibel reducer back on. It was too loud for me. Low speed driveability is good so I will leave it on. No frame of reference for how it drove in stock format. I would guess lean and some surge as other bikes usually are.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it runs ok best to leave well alone.
The BoosterPlug fools the ecu to run richer due to a false (colder) temperature reading. My theory is it should be based on the temperature entering the airbox directly not some remote location and other similar products give you a choice to have a remote sensor or not. I'm probably splitting hairs here though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tons of threads that Booster plug is snake oil for the LC engines.
No opinion on LC models, but the Booster Plug definitely helped low end response on my 2004 R1100S. Never felt the need for my 2018 GS as low end response is quite good.
Simple enough to disconnect at the air box temp sensor to see if you notice any difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Idle is solid, no low speed surging or driveability issues. Definitely leaving it on. I believe it is working as intended.

·
Registered
101 Posts
BoosterPlug is based on science not snake oil. Whether it makes any difference depends on if adding 6% extra fuel to certain parts of the rev range solves a particular problem.
Luckily as I stated earlier they are fairly cheap and easy to fit and won't do any damage so worth a try.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Was just sharing what i had read....there is a very detailed thread on advrider why booster plug wont work on LC bikes.....I wanted this farkle but then decided not to go for it after reading the thread and went in for the AFXIED instead

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can someone point me in the direction of the advrider BoosterPlug article please.
I see no reason why it wouldn't function on lc bikes, it's more likely the motor just doesn't need the extra fuel, at a guess.

·
Registered
911 Posts

Can someone point me in the direction of the advrider BoosterPlug article please.
I see no reason why it wouldn't function on lc bikes, it's more likely the motor just doesn't need the extra fuel, at a guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts