R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Brand new in GS world.
My bike came with Wolfman Rainier tank bag but is way too big for my needs.
What else you will recommend? Need room for small camera, cell phone and charger.
Also will need something that is easy to move when pumping gas.
Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Mitko, I use Shad 20l + 5liters optional extension with zip. Very good solution, waterproof and fix to tank with belts. When refuel easy disconnect with 4 clips. Tank is made of plastic and all models with magnets are not compatible.
Otherwise BMW original tank bag is times expensive and follow shape of tank, looks good but is not for me. Unfortunately in local dealer of Shad there is no on stock and I cant show you, but Google it, there is a lot of pictures.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I just bought the Tincup Pocket and a sloped tank base from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. It's a new product from Wolfman, so you can get it there also. I use Rocky Mountain because I can use my RM Cash during purchases.
I was never a fan of the tank bags because they were so larger. This is rather small and should work for me. Price point is right too. Just got it yesterday so I haven't installed it yet.
Worth a look.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all.
After some research I am leaning to Tusk tank bag, most likely the Large version.
Also during the search Tusk Pilot soft panniers were popping up all the time so start looking at them as well. Currently I have Touratech hard cases( all 3 sizes so can add or remove more space ) but want to try the soft luggage, who knows that may work better for me. And for $150 is definitely worth the try.
The problem is due to the whole Corona think they are not in production and who knows how long before they are available.
Be safe.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks all.
After some research I am leaning to Tusk tank bag, most likely the Large version.
Also during the search Tusk Pilot soft panniers were popping up all the time so start looking at them as well. Currently I have Touratech hard cases( all 3 sizes so can add or remove more space ) but want to try the soft luggage, who knows that may work better for me. And for $150 is definitely worth the try.
The problem is due to the whole Corona think they are not in production and who knows how long before they are available.
Be safe.
mitko69,

I also have my eye on the Tusks Pilots. Waiting for them to come back in stock in May.
I also have hard cases and rarely use them. Top case occasionally.
I was looking at the Tusk tank bags until i saw the Tincup.
Curious to see what you think of the tank bag.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the smallish (5L-9L) SW-MOTECH Quik-Lock Daypack tank bag on my 1250 (and a SW-MOTECH Jetpack on the rear when I need more storage. If you go with one of their tank bags you’ll likely need their Type 306 EVO Tank Bag Quick-Lock Bottom Tank Ring ($35) to connect it to your tank. It’s a great system - easy to take on and off, but won’t go flying off on its own. You can even get rings that'll provide power to the bag (I just run a short a USB cable through a waterproof hole in the front of my bag).

Scroll down to see larger models that follow the GS tank’s contours and confirm proper mount for your bike:

I believe all come with a waterproof cover. Not the cheapest solution, but I’ve owned a few a found them to be an excellent value.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought Sw motech tank bag and 2 tank rings for 2008 and 2016 gsa so swop between bikes no issues -always check the zippers and pockets when buying at the store quality control for these type of accessories is not always so good

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi all,
Brand new in GS world.
My bike came with Wolfman Rainier tank bag but is way too big for my needs.
What else you will recommend? Need room for small camera, cell phone and charger.
Also will need something that is easy to move when pumping gas.
Thanks
I like the BMW tank bags. I have the small version. They aren't cheap but the bottom is molded to match the contours of the GS tanks perfectly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
SW Motech Evo City tank bag works great for me. Holds my phone, faceshield cleaning kit, pair of roc shocks, ball cap, gatorade, billfold, tire gauge, etc. I opened up the pass through grommet so I can run a phone charging cable to the accessory plug.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I ended up with the Tusk in a large from Rocky Mountain.
Its perfect, not too big, not to small.
I was not a fan of tank bags until I saw one of these.
Plus for under $90.00!

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
With all the pannier and top box space I haven't carried a tank bag in the past and instead use these Touratech rack bags for the little stuff I need to quickly access:

On the week-long ride I did last week I carried my Wolfman Enduro tank bag. It's easy to strap on and big enough for all the little quick access stuff like my COVID-19 mask, headlamp for getting off the bike at night in camp, hand sanitizer, etc. They no longer make the one I have but list this one as coming soon:

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
600 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts