R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering a 1200GS (maybe GSA) that would be used for street touring & casual offroad. My days of my KTM 1190 riding offroad have passed me now.
I have rented the 2013 WC model & ridden Texas & Death Valley areas.
I have done some research & most say buy the newest you can afford.

That being said, here are my questions:
-are there any years to avoid?
-I am fond of the WC model & LED lights; would you still consider an oil cooled model?
-what would you recommend? the digital dash is nice but much moula

thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't buy one, they are all very bad! Bavarian Money Waster.
So many bad stories about the reliability.

Just search the forum and you will get answers!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Obviously you want to buy the one with the fewest miles and in the best condition you can afford but to answer your question in the spirit that it is meant:

There is no bad year in regards to the new liquid cooled models and each year has it's benefits and possibly some drawbacks, I personally prefer the zippier revving 2013 and 2014 GS over the heavier flywheel models, I wouldn't mind having the steering damper on 2014 and up but haven't missed it on my 2013, I have ridden my friends new 2017.5 GSW and there isn't really enough difference to write home about although the pro-ABS may come in handy some time.
But there are no years from 2013 up that have exhibited any more reliability problems than any other year.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,925 Posts
I'm not in the newest fewest miles club. There are plenty of good older used bikes out there but it all depends on what you want. Is this going to be you daily driver that you put 30,000 miles a year on or is it going to be used to tour 1 weekend a year?

I prefer Hexheads. Comfortable, powerful enough, not a lot of electronic wizardry and affordable. I can buy 3 or 4 well farkled with less than 40K well on the odometer for the price of one early Waterhead, but again I like Hexheads. If you like cam oil or water/head bikes that is what you should look for.

Newer and fewer only means it costs more. Its does not guarantee longevity or reliability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm with Perazzi. 2011 GSA is working fine for me still. I like less electronic gadgets to break. That said, I had to replace the whole ECU and it was bad enough on the '11. Can't imagine what that would cost on newer years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The early years, 2005-2007, have one characteristic worth considering. They are light and nimble. The GS series just keeps adding pounds as the years go on. Not to ignore is the price break on those years. Those years are delightful to ride, simple to maintain, and with the low purchase price, you can equip one to the way you want it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Obviously you want to buy the one with the fewest miles and in the best condition you can afford but to answer your question in the spirit that it is meant:

There is no bad year in regards to the new liquid cooled models and each year has it's benefits and possibly some drawbacks, I personally prefer the zippier revving 2013 and 2014 GS over the heavier flywheel models, I wouldn't mind having the steering damper on 2014 and up but haven't missed it on my 2013, I have ridden my friends new 2017.5 GSW and there isn't really enough difference to write home about although the pro-ABS may come in handy some time.
But there are no years from 2013 up that have exhibited any more reliability problems than any other year.

I test rode a '14 yesterday that was a-maze-ing coming from an Oilhead. I also test rode an '09 that was just "meh". Is there a nice buyer's guide for these showing the changes from year to year? At least this weekend, I'm on the hunt for a newer bike. Always wanted a GS. The '14 was so smooth, I didn't realize I would like it as much as I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not in the newest fewest miles club. There are plenty of good older used bikes out there but it all depends on what you want. Is this going to be you daily driver that you put 30,000 miles a year on or is it going to be used to tour 1 weekend a year?

I prefer Hexheads. Comfortable, powerful enough, not a lot of electronic wizardry and affordable. I can buy 3 or 4 well farkled with less than 40K well on the odometer for the price of one early Waterhead, but again I like Hexheads. If you like cam oil or water/head bikes that is what you should look for.

Newer and fewer only means it costs more. Its does not guarantee longevity or reliability.

I get the difference between Airheads, Oilheads and Waterheads. What exactly is a Cam or Hexhead? I know the hobby breaks down these in our own slang, but I never understood that one.

·
Administrator
1,830 Posts

·
Administrator
1,830 Posts
Is there a nice buyer's guide for these showing the changes from year to year?
If you find one please post and we should make it a sticky thread. This question gets asked a lot and I don't recall seeing a place that lists all changes model year to model year. Lots of different articles when you google but they often leave out details.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts