R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I'm 74 and have been riding since the mid-1960s. Retiring in 2015, I've made three trips to Alaska and one of them was solo. I've done numerous trips from NC to the west coast and back. Last year, I was supposed to follow Helge Pedersen from Tokyo to Munich but COVID reared its ugly head and killed it. He's going to try it, again, next year but I'm not going. I've been on rides before when guys didn't reveal health issues and had problems along the way. I just don't want to be 'that guy.' My local riding friends have all quit so I'm solo. I think I'll ride the MABDR in a few weeks and think about maybe getting a hack made for my GSA. The day is coming, soon than I might like, when I won't be able to pick that machine up. I'm thinking about a lighter road bike, too, maybe a Ducati Multi V4. I ain't quitting until is ceases to be fun.

Mike

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,573 Posts
Currently 63 and still having fun riding, just not currently, so much smoke here.
I have had a few bad days, but not enough to give it up.
Have definitely backed off on the spirited off roading, in exchange for some good twisties and mostly manicured dirt roads.
About the only thing I can see giving up, if I have to, is the size of the bike I ride.
So no immediate plans to quit riding.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,573 Posts
I'm 74 and have been riding since the mid-1960s. Retiring in 2015, I've made three trips to Alaska and one of them was solo. I've done numerous trips from NC to the west coast and back. Last year, I was supposed to follow Helge Pedersen from Tokyo to Munich but COVID reared its ugly head and killed it. He's going to try it, again, next year but I'm not going. I've been on rides before when guys didn't reveal health issues and had problems along the way. I just don't want to be 'that guy.' My local riding friends have all quit so I'm solo. I think I'll ride the MABDR in a few weeks and think about maybe getting a hack made for my GSA. The day is coming, soon than I might like, when I won't be able to pick that machine up. I'm thinking about a lighter road bike, too, maybe a Ducati Multi V4. I ain't quitting until is ceases to be fun.

Mike
Sorry mikec, what do you mean "a hack made for your GSA?"

·
Registered
181 Posts
This topic intrigues me because I know there will come a day when I’ve gotta decide. I don’t want my family and friends to decide for me. Or worse, i don’t want an accident to be the determining factor.

I’ve discussed this with friends and family after seeing a similar thread on ADV Rider a while back. There are some heartbreaking stories. Some decide on their own; sometimes the decision is made for them.

I ride with three friends who are in their 80’s and they’re all great riders…no concerns at all.

Then again, I ride with friends in their 50s and 60s who are “questionable.”

So I’ll follow this thread as my friends and I discuss this. I’m guessing with luck, I have 2-3 more decades of good riding ahead of me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I should mention that we recently met an elderly couple who ride with a club we’re in.

She rides a Spyder and he rides an Ultra Classic. They’re both in their 80’s and both have been riding for most of their lives.

She had a pretty bad accident last month and they both called it quits. When she left the hospital, they both sold their bikes. They’re done, no apologies

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am 64 now and gradually dropped riding sport bikes like my Fireblade and R1s en now recently riding off road.
However I ride vigorously and with ever increasing fun my R1250GS in the South of France and my R1200GS LC in Belgium, anxiously looking for stories like the ones above, which convince me I still have quite a lot of good riding years ahead of me (health permitting).… so thanks for these uplifting messages, old geezers 😀

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious to hear stories on how your riding buddies made the decision to hang it up and stop riding. Assuming most here are still riding.

Had one of the guys I rode with that had a couple close calls and decided it was enough for him. I can't argue or give someone a hard time regarding that, you have to trust your instincts.

Interested in what others think on the topic.

Been in a re-think myself. Wondering if overlanding (off-pavement) or a convertible (on-pavement) is the better path forward. Two broken bones and surgeries in 8 months will do that to you...
I’m weaning myself. Bought a WR250R and I can pick it up when I crash!! It is a lot lighter than my GS!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious to hear stories on how your riding buddies made the decision to hang it up and stop riding. Assuming most here are still riding.

Had one of the guys I rode with that had a couple close calls and decided it was enough for him. I can't argue or give someone a hard time regarding that, you have to trust your instincts.

Interested in what others think on the topic.

Been in a re-think myself. Wondering if overlanding (off-pavement) or a convertible (on-pavement) is the better path forward. Two broken bones and surgeries in 8 months will do that to you...
One more thing…you should maybe watch this video before selling out to the convertible!

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’m weaning myself. Bought a WR250R and I can pick it up when I crash!! It is a lot lighter than my GS!!
For me it's all about broken bones and surgeries I want to avoid. Not worried about the bike or bumps and bruises, had a handful of those too. I do think off pavement a lighter bike can keep you out of trouble but ultimately it is your skills that do that.

·
Administrator
1,399 Posts
I have had several (powerful) convertibles …. believe me …they are NOT a substitute for a motorbike… no way !!!
I've had some fun top down motoring. I had this car delivered to my office after our IPO in 1997, a new F355 Spider:

That car was my daily driver until I left my career in the rear view mirror and I drove it for about 10 years before letting it go. We did a lot of club events so we spent a lot of miles out in the hillbilly twisties of W. Virginia - that might have been a reasonable substitute for two wheel fun ;)

I have to say though, it was hot and humid and miserable here in Annapolis for most of the summer and other than a big trip I took in the spring, I've ridden less this summer than I can ever remember. I bought my wife (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it) a Miata for Mother's Day and I have to say that dropping the top and blasting the A/C made that much more fun that getting out for hours at a time in 95*F/80+% humidity on the GS. I still get out and romp around some trails on the dirt bikes but it was freakin' oppressive to be on the GS - maybe I'm showing my age :)

Reactions: Krons and mikec

·
Registered
335 Posts
You’re writing from the USA which I have visited some + 40 times and I know very well how much less congested your roads are, especially in the countryside .
I have owned among others the convertible version of the BMW M3 , 330i, 645i, 635d and 640d but European roads have become so incredibly congested, that it is no fun at all anymore to drive whichever car here…
On a motorbike at least you manage to overtake occasionally another vehicle and with some luck you’re not caught by a gatso speed camera while doing so.
So, even with the lousy Summer we’ve had so far in Belgium and France (the coldest and wettest since 1830 !) I still have more fun on my GS than on board my actual MPerformance car...
Hence my remark that you have quoted...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm still riding after 50 years with a few breaks along the way to 70, but now I find myself with 3 bikes! I have the haunted Norton I first saw back in the 80s when a friend bought it with 1500 miles from the original owner for $1200, but sold after a short time and bought a FJ 1100, crashed and died along with 2 other friends that owned it and died after selling the Norton. I bought in the 90s from David who died in the 2000 so the Norton stays. I bought my dream bike, a 2014 1200 GS and it now has 92K miles and planned to sell it, but even in mint condition with all the extras, no one will pay a decent price, so it stays along with the KTM 890 Adventure R I planned to replace the GS. So GS for long trips, KTM for local fun and the Norton gets ridden around the block regularly.

·
Registered
2022 1250 GS Adventure
151 Posts
I'm 70 1/2 and will be selling for 2017 Harley CVO Limited and picking up my 2022 1250GS Adventure in a couple of weeks. It's on it;s way on the Atlantic. The 100 LB Harley was jetting to be too much living in the north Georgia mountains.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,573 Posts
I'm 70 1/2 and will be selling for 2017 Harley CVO Limited and picking up my 2022 1250GS Adventure in a couple of weeks. It's on it;s way on the Atlantic. The 100 LB Harley was jetting to be too much living in the north Georgia mountains.
Whoa!
100 LB Harley? 😁

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm 70 1/2 and will be selling for 2017 Harley CVO Limited and picking up my 2022 1250GS Adventure in a couple of weeks. It's on it;s way on the Atlantic. The 1000 LB Harley was jetting to be too much living in the north Georgia mountains.
I see why guys seem to go with lighter bikes as they get older. My DR650 weighed about 150 pounds less than my GSA and riding gravel was tremendously more comfortable, much less pucker factor. Weight does have an advantage in the wind though.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.