R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of tires at the dealer and didn't bother to ask about the price. I did ask today and was surprised to learn they want full retail. :eek: Another (larger) dealer is advertising the same tires in the ON magazine for about 60% of retail.

I don't mind "supporting the local dealer" but the difference in price is a day's pay...that's too much.

So where are people buying their tires? Is the DIY route a good thing?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Over here, eastern Canada, New Brunswick actualy, I seem to be getting a p good deal on tires. I realised it last year on my way back from Manitoba Canada, when I stopped at the BMW dealer in Winnipeg to have a new back tire installed. $395 later, I was on my way! They basicaly just laughed me when I tried to get a deal They told me they supported their canadian supplier!
I can get both new, front and rear, tires installed for the same price here.I don't mind supporting my country, but not when I believe I'm being ripped off! I save about $60 by installing them myself!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
First I pick the type and size of tire I want then I go to google. Usually, but not always, the low price leaders (delivered cost, not necessarily advertised cost) are one of:

Competition Accessories
SW Moto Tires
motorcycle-superstore

Pay attention to the "in stock" status. Saving $5 but having to wait 3 weeks for a tire is not, IMHO, cost effective.

·
Not that senior.
702 Posts
Sydney Australia

All of the motorcycle dealers here advertise on line, so competion is good.
I paid $435 Australian for a pair of Anakee 2 (fitted free) this year.

Gotta be careful which dealer i go to though, some of them have no idea about torque settings on the GS, had a tough time getting the wheels of again for maintenance, way to tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Motorcycle Superstore has given me great service and good prices for years. I have a local shop that installs them for $10 each. He just can't even come close to their tire prices, or I would buy locally.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check prices online. Asked my dealer for their best price, mounted, balanced and installed as would like like to support them. They gave me Internet price for tires and charged $100 to mount,balance and install and a free final drive oil change. Couldn't be beat you just have to ask

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took your advice and asked...

...and the answer is that the dealer "usually doesn't discount tires."

Guess this will be my last set through the dealer then.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Y'know as a newbie to this endeavor ( GS stuff) and time for new rubber, I just went for the dealer in Calgary. Was the closest to me. (about 130k away) Apparently, i got a deal on my new Metzlers, front and back, fair enough, maybe 10% or so. the labor is what killed it. Kinda unusual for this dealer. But.. I gotta say the thought of sorting through the best deals and having them shipped with that cost, and maybe save 5 bucks here or there and god knows i couldn't install them myself with no equipment or even the desire too fight with em. I just chocked it up as a necessary expense and the guys at the shop did a quick and painless job of it, with the exception of my crying credit card. $ 526 later Job done. Stuff ain't cheap in Canada and I know they can see me coming, anywasy I was riding back home in an hour. And bottom line is I have new rubber under me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ordered a new set of Continentil TKC-80's online Tuesday to my door for $275 , retail at a shop was going to be $425 . How can there be so much difference ?

·
HairyDad/6 kids
102 Posts
Here in the northwest I have had good luck at cycle gear. I knew what tires I wanted,got a price which was the same on the net. Installed for free if you take your rims to them. Saved some good $$$$ so that was a good deal.

·
FNG
22 Posts
Another happy Motorcycle Superstore customer. They used to offer to ship directly from a listing of local vendors, with detailed reviews and labor costs. They claim they'll still ship that way, but I'm not seeing all the shop specific data anymore. Too bad as it was a cool feature.

I'm still grappling with what to replace my stock tires with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
From Planet Dirt

Hey guys;
For those living in central Florida and its surrounding areas Factory4motorsports, a small bike shop located in Plant city has the best rate to change tires I've ever found...... $ 30 per tire and $ 15 if you bring just the rim (with old tire).
It is 15 minutes from Tampa.................you can find their web page browsing

·
Registered
3 Posts
My local dealer in Tampa was happy to match the on line price I found for the tires I wanted , and charged $30 per for installation. I was very happy with the service , although they neglected to readjust the rear brake , which was quite a surprise leaving their parking lot !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts