R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garmin seems to be the 800# gorilla in the waterproof-for-motorcycle GPS game; Tom Tom is a little cheaper and DeLorme even cheaper still. Found on Ebay direct imports from China for $150 - $175 (US) with 4.3" touch screen, operating system is Win CE 6.0, bunches of bells and whistles best I can tell. And the vendors explain Garmin's high pricing as "name recognition" which is not all that far off base. Question is: anyone have any experience with these units? The sellers all have high seller rankings but they're clear as mud about software sources. Most state "This model is compatible with most brands of GPS software - however hardware specific software such as Garmin may not run on this unit". I know that Garmin produces their own software and others just use a Windows-based software. Anyone with any experience with these units? To view just goto Ebay and search "motorcycle gps" and you'll get thousands of hits and dozens of these <$200 units; some are "Rage" and others are "Peaklife".
Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I´ve seen many friends trying "2nd class" GPS products. Some of them will even work at specific conditions. But... You´ve got what you´ve paid for. :(

Some GPS have cheap components that will work only for a limited time periodo. When broken no repair avaiable. Limited maps coverage and when an update is necessary a great deal of work is necessary. Put a non bike dedicated GPS to use in a motorcycle and it will fail when extreme conditions come (Eg. rain)

Many users said they purchase a cheap GPS to trash it later on and buy a Garmin. It was a wast of time and money. That sai, I chose Garmin Zumo 390LM because:

a) rugged and bike user friendly
b) great support software and apps
c) easy to install in the bike
d) warranty
e) will pair with *almost* everything including my phone, headset, etc...
f) great resolution and memory expansion avaiable.
g) able to use in the car too
h) all backets, cables, etc, included

At $ 600 bucks it was not cheap at all. But I am very happy with it. Hope I can make use of all its (many) features. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAGE Returned

I fought with the RAGE unit for about 3 - 4 days and gave up. Yes, I could find iGO8/9 software online for around $60.00 (US) which included maps. Adding that to the cost of the unit and it was getting close to the cost of a TomTom Rider. Returning the RAGE to China so expect I'll see a refund within a year, purchased a TomTom Rider thru eBay for around $320.00, it arrived in 2 days unlike the 3 weeks the RAGE took, I plugged it in and was up and running and "making tracks" within about 10 minutes. Bottom line if you don't mind a bit of brain damage it's possible to get the RAGE to work, possibly even well, for the extra $100 I went with the TT Rider.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts