R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for real world opinions. Going to add some lights, but struggling with the color. I commute on my bike weather permitting and in some heavy traffic, like Dallas/Ft Worth traffic. I'm wanting to do my best to optimize my visibility to the other motorists who have their head up their butts most of the time and really aren't paying too much attention.

Lookking at the Denali S3, S4, Baja Designs or comparable light blasting, retina burning output but can't decide if the amber will be enough of a difference on the road to go that direction. I believe that white lights are SO common that they don't get a second thought, but some super bright amber ones might be enough of an oddity on the road that they might catch someone's attention just a little quicker.

Thoughts & opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have Clearwater light and love them on my 2018 r1200gsa
I use the can opener for control with the wonder wheel
And I have Amber and yellow lense, I've been told that yellow is the most visible
They were not cheap about $1200 for Darla and Erica, but so much better lighting

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have amber lights (thanks to the PO) and when I asked my wife who was in front of me driving it home last month, she thinks they make it stand out from the background. Only n=1 but its better than n=0.

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts
I have the Clearwater Darla and added the amber lens kit for about $35. You can remove the yellow lens any time you want in just a few seconds as it just pops off.. If your going that route I would suggest the Billie light for the back. This is a quality kit with simple color installation instructions and I highly recommend it. While it's fully adjustable I left mine as it was set up at the factory. About 30% with the high beam at 100%.
The other day I left my brothers house to get to my house about 20 miles away and I counted 11 people who moved out of my way from the left lane. It's perfect.

·
Administrator
1,403 Posts
I vote yellow too, to me it is all about maximizing contrast. I started with white and added a amber film. It does impact the brightness but worth it. The clip on amber pieces are ideal IMO.

Ambient light a bit different but before and after...
Plant Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

If you want a sheet of amber film to try, PM me your address with size you need and I can send you some.

·
Survivor
890 Posts
I have Clearwater lights on one bike, Rigid lights on three and Harbor Freight on two. All have easy on, easy off amber lens. There is no doubt in my mind that they have greatly reduced the incidence of people pulling out or turning in front of me.
I do not think Clearwater lights are worth the exceptionally high price they charge. The are very good quality and their customer service is very good as well, but the same can be said of other brands that cost a small fraction of Clearwater’s cost.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Myself, the Rigid Hyperspot fit the bill. Really good auxiliary light. I purchased the snap on amber lens for daytime riding that I'm pretty confident others see and easily remove them at night if needed...
Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Sky
Rectangle Font Tin Gas Metal
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems like the covers diminish the light output greatly as opposed to the white lights. Is there a significant noticable difference ?

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts
I find the yellow light at night gives it a bit more depth perception. I kinda like it. If you don't it isn't a big deal to take the covers off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought yellow accessory lights after seeing a motorcycle from far away while driving my truck. The triangle of white with two yellows really stood out against everything else.

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
I put two sets of accessory lights on my GS: a pair of floods that are amber (thanks Krons for the film!) and a pair of 3" round spots that throw light crazy far down the road.

After reading about the research done at Ruby Moto that was done to determine the most visible tint of yellow/amber, I bought a pair of their lens covers for the spots in their special version of yellow:

Those covers fit these non-Ruby lights perfectly and I think they are really on to something with how much more conspicuous they are.

I run both pair of lights off an ezCAN for configurability. These lights are so bright that day or night I leave the spots off on low beam and run the rectangular floods at 10% - they'll still leave spots in your eyes if you look at them head on. On high beam, everything comes on at 100% day or night.

Reactions: Zubb

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
36 Posts
+1 on the Clearwater Darla + Erica combo. I too installed these and use the yellow accessory lenses on both. Boy do they stand out! No issue with diminished output as these lights are in any case overly bright and still need to be dimmed down (with yellow lenses added) via the canbus controller to avoid pissing off oncoming drivers. I have noted when I flash my high beams at drivers who start to pull out in front of me it almost always stops them dead in their tracks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for real world opinions. Going to add some lights, but struggling with the color. I commute on my bike weather permitting and in some heavy traffic, like Dallas/Ft Worth traffic. I'm wanting to do my best to optimize my visibility to the other motorists who have their head up their butts most of the time and really aren't paying too much attention.

Lookking at the Denali S3, S4, Baja Designs or comparable light blasting, retina burning output but can't decide if the amber will be enough of a difference on the road to go that direction. I believe that white lights are SO common that they don't get a second thought, but some super bright amber ones might be enough of an oddity on the road that they might catch someone's attention just a little quicker.

I had Clearwater install two of their lights 3 years ago and cannot say enough good things about them; I use the yellow lens covers during the day to make me more conspicuous and they seem to work very well. I keep them on the low setting, but they are also tied into my high beams so that they go full power when I flash to pass. I highly recommend them! No issues on or off-road. They are quite rugged and the company has a very good reputation for standing behind their products.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fitted a pair of white Baja Designs Squadron Pro lights in wide/driving combo. The main aim was to increase my vision rather than visibility. They also run at 10% output during the day through a DenaliCansmart. Night output is excellent (much brighter than the 2021 R1250gs stock headlight) and visibility through the day seems good.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have 2 pairs of Baja designs. XL80s when I need them and Baja S1 with which I replaced my OEM (Read useless) GSA fog lamps.
The S1 are bright as hell and give a fantastic beam. They do make yellow covers for them. Maybe I will see if they are available and report back the difference.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts