R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2 pairs of Baja designs. XL80s when I need them and Baja S1 with which I replaced my OEM (Read useless) GSA fog lamps.
The S1 are bright as hell and give a fantastic beam. They do make yellow covers for them. Maybe I will see if they are available and report back the difference.
I have a pair of XL80s (along with a bespoke BD lightbar) fitted to my car. Very impressive lights :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have the best pics, but love the Clearwater - most especially their customer service and how they treat you when something happens to your lights, their product, they standby no matter what!! So that being said they are expensive but worth it in the end. From my perspective go with Amber/yellow you have higher visibility with that light during the day. Stay safe. Oh and check out the easy fix LED bulb replacements for your turn signals. Those are cheap and easy to install and outperform the OEM without having to change out the whole housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
docyvette do you have a link for the "easy fix LED bulbs", my google-fu is lacking (assuming that 'easy fix' is a brand reference)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have amber filters over my aux lights to break up the silhouette of the bike, if that makes sense. There is also a filter over the LED strip on the headlight. Drivers see motorcycle headlights as one color of light at a small point and think the source is far away. Add some different color light to it, it causes the driver to look a little harder to determine what they are seeing. This is information I read in a couple MSF books. Most of my bikes had a vertical strip of white LED lights on each side of the faring to help add some confusion, thus making the driver look harder to see that I was a small vehicle that is close to them, and not a regular sized vehicle that is far away. These lights were below the headlight, so they didn't blend in. My new to me GS does not have the vertical light strips yet. I likely will not add them because of how well the amber filters are working to get drivers to look twice, as long as they put their phones down long enough to pay attention to the road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thinking about the bright LED turn signals, is there a mod that can be used to make the turn signals be on all the time like running lights (and still blink when you signal)? Seems like that, combined with the LED marker lights would be a nice addition for visibility.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thinking about the bright LED turn signals, is there a mod that can be used to make the turn signals be on all the time like running lights (and still blink when you signal)? Seems like that, combined with the LED marker lights would be a nice addition for visibility.
Dont the new 1250? work like that?

·
Administrator
1,246 Posts
sigh I've successfully avoided the siren song of the new 1250 GS models being perfectly happy with my '16 that is set up just perfect for my uses. virkdoc, videos like that one are making that harder and harder for me.

Reactions: Rick92040

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
36 Posts
Yeah, that absolutely exists: The Weiser LED version with added DRL functionality - haven't tried them myself as I had just opted for Clearwater Darla's + Erica's and I thought yet another pair of DRL's might be overkill. (not that I'm beyond a good bit of overkill in most instances ...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with many of the aforementioned lights, however Rick suggested the Clearwater Billie and I highly recommend the same. Those same distracted drivers can be behind you as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Clearwater light and love them on my 2018 r1200gsa
I use the can opener for control with the wonder wheel
And I have Amber and yellow lense, I've been told that yellow is the most visible
They were not cheap about $1200 for Darla and Erica, but so much better lighting

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
Hi. I’m looking at the same setup you have. Can you post a pic or 2? Thanks. Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,246 Posts
I've got the P3 photon blaster brake lights on my bike. After a friend followed me around the Smoky 500 adventure loop for a day I asked him how he liked my brakes lights. His reply, "I didn't." He commented on how bright and annoying they are. I think I must use the brakes a lot more on an off-road ride than out in the mountains on the pavement.

Reactions: mikec

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use two Billie's, as well. Not too long ago, a fellow pulled up beside me in traffic and said, "You're brake lights are bright and pretty annoying." I thanked him. My Billie's are set on 10% brightness.

Mike
Agreed. I run my Billies at 10% running and 100% braking. I also would take “annoying” as a compliment.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I am at the same crossroads @GrayBeard
So wanna upgrade....but the amount of stuff I have into the 1200 plus with the 1300 carrot dangling just dont have the courage to bite the bullet!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts