R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

In the market for a new helmet, and I've been looking at the Scorpion EXO-AT950.

I'm wondering how the peak will affect the comfort at speed on a highway....(I know it can be removed on this helmet).

How many people ride with a Helmet that has a peak, and what are your general feelings about it, and also, how much highway vs dirt do you do?

Thanks in advance for help here.

Reactions: Vatu

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
249 Posts
I did... now I have two helmets... a Bell Mx 9 Adventure for off-road and a BMW System 7 Carbon for the highway.

A good off-road helmet is well vented... but noisy.

A good highway helmet is silent... but can be hot.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Have tried them, not a fan of the beaked helmets. Opted for more quite in a conventional road helmet.
In lieu of the beak, I attached some electrical tape across the inside top of my visor. Works similar

·
2019 R1250 GSA
161 Posts
I use the Shoei Hornet X2 and have no issues at any speed. But then my windshield routes the air up over my helmet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got an HJC DS-X1 and I feel a little effect but I'm 6'3", running the stock shield in the most laid-back position possible so your results may vary. I feel it but it's not significant. I do find that as far as sun protection it seems pretty much worthless. I also have a road helmet and noise level seems about equal.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I had the X-2 and put a lot of miles on and off road on it. About a year ago I switched to the new Klim hat with the Krios, a new energy absorbing technology inside the helmet. It's the lightest helmet I've ever owned; very comfortable on long days in the saddle at highway speeds, and comes with the light sensitive shield. Very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I've been a Schubert guy for several years and, in 2016, I bought an E-1. It has been a great helmet! Of late, though, I've had a hard time finding screens for it. They were out of stock for a long time and this was prior to COVID. I acquired a Touratech Adventuro in carbon fiber and wore it on a recent MABDR trip. It's a bit lighter than the Schuberth and the detentes on screen are much more precise. The peak/beak is very nice and, at speed, there were no issues.

It was easy to hook up the Bluetooth receiver as the helmet was ready for speakers. The helmet is just as quiet at my E-1 and air flow seemed better. I had a little rain and fogging wasn't an issue even though I hadn't installed the pinlock screen. I used the helmet sunscreen on several occasions and it functions well. For me, this helmet is a winner.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought a Klim Krios earlier this year to replace my Schuberth C3 Pro. I immediately removed the beak (it comes with extra trim pieces for this) thinking it would catch too much air at highway speeds. It was annoying riding into the sun because it has no built in shades, so I put the beak back on. To my surprise the beak is no problem at highway speeds and it does help a lot with the sunlight.

Overall the Klim is indeed louder but makes more than up for it in light weight, visibility and overall comfort.

·
Super Moderator
687 Posts
How rigid the peak is makes a big difference for buffeting. I do like the protection from the sun.

I have an HJC CL-X7 motocross helmet and LS2 OHM ADV helmet. The HJC peak is really rigid and plenty quiet at speed. The LS2 peak is more flimsy and susceptible to buffeting. I run a stock windshield on my 07 GSA with a deflector...can run the deflector all the way down with the HJC but need it nearly all the way up with the LS2.

My riding buddys [8 yr old] Arai XD4 is too flimsy with buffeting also (2020 GS HP stock screen, with deflector) he even tried stiffening with some extra bracing under the peak but did not help. I've heard of some guys adding wheel weights under the peak to try to help.

A lot depends on your windscreen. Seems you need to be fully in the wind or fully out of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace my self-destructing O'Neal Sierra (so many bits unscrewing themselves, breaking, etc). On a budget (no business because of Covid) so I bought a Caburg XC-Trace. Absolutely no trouble on the motorway. I looked up, down, left, right with no wind-ripping-your-head off effect at all. Peak is non-adjustable (and removeable) but it's set perfectly for me, slight dip of the head and the sun was out of my eyes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm 6'0" and use a Klim Krios Pro. Its beak is a non-issue (except for blocking the sun) with the regular GS windscreen at any height or speed.

With the short Rally screen attached the beak's a non-issue below 75MPH and very tolerable up to 85-90MPH for short distances.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all.

In the market for a new helmet, and I've been looking at the Scorpion EXO-AT950.

I'm wondering how the peak will affect the comfort at speed on a highway....(I know it can be removed on this helmet).

How many people ride with a Helmet that has a peak, and what are your general feelings about it, and also, how much highway vs dirt do you do?

Hi
I have a 1200GSA, and bought the Scorpion a couple of weeks ago. I found it to be a good quality piece of kit for the price I paid, £169, and quite comfortable. my old lid is a BMW system 6 which I love, but its very old. On taking it for a run over the roads around Buxton, a strong crosswind on the day did catch the nose of the lid, where my series 6 would have been neutral, generally though, obviously behind a large screen, I found it neutral.
On the subject of noise, I experimented on the run by sticking my head out from behind the screen, and found it quite noisy there, back behind the screen it was fine. I found the peak to be no problem, and actually helped on a sunny day by blocking the sun quite well, so I left it on. I love the solidity of the visor, and the view, it comes with a pinlock too, which I can't report on yet.
Finally, I found the lid sat quite low on the head, so I inserted a cross shaped piece of foam of 5mm thickness under the insert inside, which improved things for me. If you can, try it on first to get the size right.
I hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all.

I've that exact helmet and quite like it. I've had a number of Scorpion helmets over the years and found they are a good value. I ride my GSA about 50/50 on/off-road (you've got to go on road to go off road in my case). I do believe the peak is removeable on this model but have not found that necessary. I routinely ride at high speed on paved "B" roads and have not felt much neck strain at all. My only complaint, a minor one, is that even with a slim profile ear speaker, it can be bit crowded in the helmet. Hope this helps.

·
filmmaker/moto adventurer
5 Posts
Hubascuba. I have the Scorpion EXO-AT950. The peak does cause some vibration at freeway speeds. You also feel a bit of drag when you do a "head check" . However two great things about the Scorpion. 1. It is very very easy to remove the peak. No tools. If I have several hours of freeway speeds I take it off. Otherwise the peak is very useful to keep the sun off your face & visor. I keep it on about 80% of the time. The other nice thing is the 2. the PRICE. Some of the other helmets mentioned in this string are without a doubt excellent. But you could buy TWO Scorpion EXO-AT950's for that price. For noise I wear in-ear BOSE noice cancelling headphones. It's super quiet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
... Helmet that has a peak, and what are your general feelings about it, and also, how much highway vs dirt do you do?
I ride with an iCON Variant helmet when heading off road. But I often ride two hours before I get off the highway! It is a fantastic high speed helmet with a peak… Don’t feel any drag or head lifting, and works like a great visor for the Phoenix sun. I recommend it. Comfortable, good air flow, light, well built, stands up to wear, room inside for communications gear. Just an all round top gear.
I’m on a BMW Sertao these days, but was on R1200GS, F800GS and F800R ‘scrambler’ with it... all good. On my third one in 7 yrs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Pete88 @luckye39 @Stumble111 . What size do you have vs the size in the sizing chart for the AT-950?
The sizing chart suggests a LG for me. I currently have a Sorpion EXO in XL. When I tried the AT950, anything but the XXL felt like I was toothpaste coming out of the tube...the XXL was just right...very snug and my head didn't move. I do have a round head and I think the helmet shell size changes at the XXL size up (that's what Revzilla told me).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea, I was advised to go up a size for the Scorpion, My series 6 was 59-60, so I went for the XL. its a good fit now, (and I had a haircut), but I hope it doesn't 'bed in' in too much. Im pretty sure that L would have been too small, so its Hobsons choice really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts