R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I do plan on putting this on the back of my truck, and no I frankly don't care what everyone's opinion is about that.... BUT I am curious if anyone has any experience. I did measure and it honestly looks like it is within a hair's width if it will fit. Thank you in advance and so far, i'm loving the bike (1,200 miles in two weeks) and find the forum pretty useful and entertaining-

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
245 Posts
According to BMW, the total length or a R1250GS is 7'3" No Ridgeline around so you'll have to measure your box. You might need a little longer than that if the bike is fitted diagonally because of the tire width.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to BMW, the total length or a R1250GS is 7'3" No Ridgeline around so you'll have to measure your box. You might need a little longer than that if the bike is fitted diagonally because of the tire width.
I measured 78" from the very front of the front tire to the bottom of the rear tire so a tad (9"?) would stick out. When i measured it, it looked like the tire would just make it on to the tailgate. I'm not really worried about the bike rolling off once it's on but, it would be nice to know it's secure. Just hoping someone else has been bold enough to put their GS in the back of their "sissy truck" as my friends call it. My name for it is a little less PC-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not trailer it? I wouldn't want to load/unload a 500+ pound bike in a truck.
I could, but I’ve loaded and unloaded my MT-10 with no incident and I don’t want to have to deal with a trailer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haul a dirtbike in my tacoma with the tire on the back half of the tailgate due to a roll up hard cover taking up some space in the front. I have unistrut spanning under it so the front tire is pushed against something. Once it's tied down I have zero worries about it. I would do it without a second thought. Would probably want a spotter with my gs though just in case.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
148 Posts
I used to haul my FJR in the back of my first two ridgelines with no issues.
I did have a piece of 3/4" plywood that extended from the front of the box to the end of the tailgate.
More importantly, I made an adjustable Tailgate support for the right side, the side with no cable support, from a 3/8" threaded turnbuckle, with a J-hook in one end and an eye with several chain links in the other. The J hook goes over the Loop the tailgate latch fastens over and the chain-link engages the latch mechanism in the tailgate. Once fastened I adjust the turnbuckle to take a very light tension. I believe the tailgate is rated to support 300#, I feel like this significantly ups that capability. I tried putting the GSA in my truck - 19 Ridgeline and it looks like it will be just fine as well.

I have always found a loading dock or a Motorcycle shop with a ramp I could back up to for the load/unload. I've seen too many YouTube videos of disasters trying to load a big bike into the back of a pickup truck using a folding ramp. YMMV

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to haul my FJR in the back of my first two ridgelines with no issues.
I did have a piece of 3/4" plywood that extended from the front of the box to the end of the tailgate.
More importantly, I made an adjustable Tailgate support for the right side, the side with no cable support, from a 3/8" threaded turnbuckle, with a J-hook in one end and an eye with several chain links in the other. The J hook goes over the Loop the tailgate latch fastens over and the chain-link engages the latch mechanism in the tailgate. Once fastened I adjust the turnbuckle to take a very light tension. I believe the tailgate is rated to support 300#, I feel like this significantly ups that capability. I tried putting the GSA in my truck - 19 Ridgeline and it looks like it will be just fine as well.

I have always found a loading dock or a Motorcycle shop with a ramp I could back up to for the load/unload. I've seen too many YouTube videos of disasters trying to load a big bike into the back of a pickup truck using a folding ramp. YMMV
Excellent. I think the GS weighs about 100 lbs more than my MT but probably about 200-300 less than an FJR. How did you secure the plywood to the bed of the truck?

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
148 Posts
Excellent. I think the GS weighs about 100 lbs more than my MT but probably about 200-300 less than an FJR. How did you secure the plywood to the bed of the truck?
I didn't, and never had a problem with it shifting. I tie the front down with four straps and the rear with two. Your BMW Owners manual has instructions for tying down the front, I follow those and then add two straps up high on the GS Adv crash Bars, all four of these straps lead forward, When I tie down the rear I use the rear footpeg mounts and these straps lead slightly rearward.

Here is a picture of my Auxillary Tailgate Support Device -

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, I have hauled the GS with my Ridgeline and it seems to do fine. I would like to fashion a similar support to what Big John has. My Ridgeline is the first gen so I'm not sure the latch assembly is the same as what he has.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
148 Posts
FWIW, I have hauled the GS with my Ridgeline and it seems to do fine. I would like to fashion a similar support to what Big John has. My Ridgeline is the first gen so I'm not sure the latch assembly is the same as what he has.
I had two Gen 1 Ridgelines before this Gen 2, The Auxillary Tailgate Support worked/works in all three.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts