R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 GS with standard windscreen and I am 6'2". The wind howling in my helmet is almost unbearable from turbulence. I have tried every angle and seat height with no real results. If the wind doesn't get me from above it gets me around the side. Standing on the pegs at 100kmph is the quietest option I found today. Wondering what others of you have done. I cannot find one peaceful place behind that windscreen. Is this fixable or am I buying a new windscreen. Thanks

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First, remove your windscreen. You might like that best. If that is bit too much wind you can try cutting it down. That's what I did.

Click on the image for more info. During the winter I want a bit more than the cut down screen give me, so add a touratech spoiler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
quid - The problem is, the screen on the GS is positioned too far forward of the cockpit, placing your head at the back of the envelope where air is converging to fill the low pressure cell behind it. You may be a little tall for the stock screen anyway, even if it were positioned more favorably. Like Marc said, you can replace the stock screen with a shorter one (there are plenty of options) or go big with something from Cee Bailey, for example. CB offers three heights - up to 22" - and recommend the 22" screen for riders 6'2" or taller. I'm 6'4" and have a 22" CB on order, along with the taller mounting bar. In addition, I have a Touratech clip-on extension for those times when you just want more. Check out the fairing mounted side wings from CB as well. They will close the door on wind getting around the sides of your shield.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put an Aeroflow on mine and really like it. An "x-tall" for winter rides and "tall" for warmer riding. I can post a photo if you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im also 6'2 and agree completely. Wunderlich makes a small fairing for about 165 that should cure the buffeting.

On an unrelated note, I just got a new 2009 and with 1600 miles the fuel strip sensor is/may be shot. Tank has gas in it but yellow warning light and indicator shows it as low/empty. Read about this on another site and it seems to be common so if that happens, you'll know what it is. See a pic of the screen below.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8162300-301.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've ridden my 2009GS with the touratech spoiler, and it cut down a lot of the wind noise for me. I'm 6'1", sitting behind the stock screen.

I recently put on the GSA winglets, and they are amazing in how they cut down on buffeting too. They're also the cheapest solution out there, at about 60$.

Haven't tried them both together.

I think the buffeting/noise is a combination of
1) wind coming around the bottom of the screen and then hitting you in the chest and traveling up to the helmet. Any wind on the bottom ring of the helmet is going to sound very loud, especially when it travels up your body to get there.
2) wind coming over the screen. Since we sit so far back from it, I think the turbulence zone is pretty much right where your head is.

Both of the things I mentioned above greatly reduced the noise/buffeting for me in their own right. I have to run into my friend that I borrowed the TT spoiler from to try them together, but I can only imagine it'll be that much better when done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. I shaved down my stock screen which helped a lot for short trips. Now just deciding what I like in a larger screen. No one owns a bike like mine where I live so it is nice to have guys to talk to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cee Bailey

I bought an 05 GS in April 04 and quickly put a Cee Bailey +5" height, +4" wide on it. After 59,210 the tranny input shaft bearing went south and I traded it in on a 2009. The screen transferred, no problem. I am 6-2 and commute on the bike daily, 26 miles each way, all freeway. The windscreen's aerodynamic performance is very acceptable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First, remove your windscreen. You might like that best. If that is bit too much wind you can try cutting it down. That's what I did.

Click on the image for more info. During the winter I want a bit more than the cut down screen give me, so add a touratech spoiler.

Does the cut down screen with the Tourtech deflector work better than stock windscreen? Quieter?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Been too long since I've ridden with the stock screen for me to remember and compare. I suspect not quieter, but perhaps a bit less turbulence. I only use the spoiler in cooler weather.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really like my Givi Touring screen with the BMW GS-Adventure winglets on my '09 R12GS. I'm a bit shorter than you at ~5'10" but almost always run the screen in the lowest position except in heavy rain when I put it all the way up. I can ride at 75MPH with the screen set low and the visor on my helmet at 1/2 open with minimal turbulence or noise. All the way up in the rain I am just barely looking over it so the Givi might even fit you better??? Hope this helps - coach

·
Registered
297 Posts
Holy old threads Batman...

@Lyesyou may want to check the date on the last post in the thread...this one is from 2010. Not a problem to resurrect old posts but wanted you aware how old it was.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Let's do this....I've finally landed on some peace and quiet behind the windscreen. Calsci large. 75 mph and nothing but motor and a nice little breeze.

·
Registered
44 Posts
www.stopthebuffeting.com

I tried these on a tall Cee Bailey screen and it helped more than the new shield. 2005 1200gs
Link goes to a page that Chrome reports as "not secure", when I tell it to go anyway - there's no "there" there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts