R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 GS with OEM windshield. Do any of the clamp-on deflectors really work as advertised ? We are in the height of bug season and my visor is taking a beating. any reduction in noise would be a bonus.
5,11 with the seat in the high position.

·
Registered
130 Posts
2015 GS with OEM windshield. Do any of the clamp-on deflectors really work as advertised ? We are in the height of bug season and my visor is taking a beating. any reduction in noise would be a bonus.
5,11 with the seat in the high position.
I haven't attached one yet but plan on adding the 3 inch. Had one on my V Strom and it made a huge difference. I'm 6'2"

·
Registered
384 Posts
I added a "laminar" lip to my 2015 gs. I've used it on other bikes makes a major difference in sound and wind.

Kam

·
Super Awesom Person
615 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Originally I liked the stock shield but the bugs on my face mask and my shoulders are annoying. Also I just did a 3600 mile trip and it would have been nice to have a bit more wind protection. I would like a windscreen just a bit wider and taller without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just used a Wunderlich Vario 3D spoiler on top of the standard GS screen for a 200 mile run. Have to admit it made a lot a different to lowering the noise level (considerably). Not a great deal of change in how the air hits my body though, although the stock screen gives adequate protection for me.

My reason for getting the spoiler was to divert the wind from the top of my lid and lowering the noise level. So in those terms it worked.

I don't think I will stick with it though as I find it unsightly. I will probably go for the MRA Vario touring screen as the spoiler is part of the screen. I did also consider the Puig and Givi high screens but don't like the idea of looking through it.

Anyway I ride with the seat in the low position but I am around 6'2". I prefer to be in the bike rather than on it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Three years ago I buy optional Puig deflector. When I ask in shop is it really worth they advise next:
Put your hand above windshield and (it depends on bike and shape of screen) you will see the difference, until ride. I try and there is a difference. After that I buy and adjust the angle between windshield and deflector. In a summer time I ride with open face and sometime with glass of the helmet. Most important is that all of bugs and fly are on the deflector and not between teeth :). Wind is one idea small, but exist. Helmet is almost clear even in the middle of season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use one with my sport windshield that came with the Rallye.

It helps so much on the highway especially with buffering and if you want more wind, you can just readjust it and/or remove it completely!

The ONLY thing I would suggest when you add the deflector on is to also get the windshield reinforcement kit.

my windshield flops quite a bit with the deflector clamped on...kinda sketchy during high wind as the whole shield twists quite a bit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
+1 for the Laminar Lip. The lip is 5" tall, and the instructions say you should install with at least 1/2 of it below the top of your existing shield, so the max ht. gain is 2-1/2".
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Puig Touring windscreen I bought but never opened the box. It's more protection than the stock windscreen. I bought it for better wind protection on longer rides, but now think the stock one is a better fit for my shorter trip / South Texas riding. "Puig touring windscreen / SKU 960177. Light Smoke." Fits 2013-18 GS and GSA's. Includes reinforcement kit. Paid $218 for it. I'll ship it to whoever wants it for $100. It's still in the Revzilla box it came in. [email protected] Reach out if you want it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A year ago I added a Puig deflector to my Ztechnik windshield. With it basically parallel to the main shield, noise is considerably diminished. The other benefit is that during the hotter months, I can change the angle so that it "scoops" wind at my helmet for better cooling, albeit at the expense of more wind noise. But the option is there.
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts