R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another newbie question...and I've searched around for old forum posts already...
I'm adding a couple of LED lights for conspicuity. I'd like them to switch on and off at start-up when my headlights go on. Can somebody give me the "for dummies" description-- or diagram-- for where to enter the headlight circuit to accomplish this? Or, if I use a separate switch, should I run a 12 V wire directly from the battery and then trigger a relay from the ignition, or headlights...and again, where to wire the triggering circuit?
Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking to do something similar, though it will be tied into the high beams for seeing the shoulders of the road as far ahead as possible.
Definitely use relays and tie into the battery. Use a switch or tie into the headlight to activate the relay only and not to power your LEDs.
Find the source you want to activate your LEDs and then follow it as far back to the fuse as you can and then tie into it from there with the relay.

Edit: 20-100 Beat me to it. Looks like that guy has some good mods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
AF2F4B47-D2AD-4D8B-A8E7-3D06B57D94F4.jpeg

I added a Neutrino Black Box to control all of my accessories, and love it. You can set it to come on and off with the ignition, set various delays, set it to come on at dark, have you seat come on at a percentage of full voltage at a certain temperature… and on and on. It’s an amazing device, easy installation and programming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I added a Neutrino Black Box to control all of my accessories, and love it. You can set it to come on and off with the ignition, set various delays, set it to come on at dark, have you seat come on at a percentage of full voltage at a certain temperature… and on and on. It’s an amazing device, easy installation and programming.
How hard was it to install?
About how long did it take you?
Did you order it from neutrinoblackbox.com or somewhere else?

·
Registered
28 Posts
How hard was it to install?
About how long did it take you?
Did you order it from neutrinoblackbox.com or somewhere else?
Installation was straight forward. I would say the difficulty depends on how many accessories you’re adding, and to where the wires are run. I installed it at the same time I installed a Quad Lock wired charger and some Weiser Ultra Bright led turn signals (which are also grand) and a BMS heated saddle. All in all it took the better part of the morning, perhaps four to six hours. I ordered it from the website. Customer service was spectacular. The gentleman with whom I spoke is, I believe, the person who designed the device. Remarkably knowledgeable about the device and it’s function.

In addition to coming on with the ignition, my front Weiser’s stay on for about a minute after I shut off the ignition. It’s all adjustable with the device.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I prefer the FZ8 Fuse Block for mutiple accessories. It has 6 fused circuits and also an integral 30a relay. The beauty is it is powered directly off the battery then a trigger wire can be connected to a keyed power source to kill power when the key is off. The other neat thing is if you do connect the trigger wire you can then move the fuse to the left or right and make each individual circuit keyed power or power all the time. Its nice as things like GPS and light go on a keyed circuit and battery tender whips go on power all the time so you can either use it to power things or charge the battery w/o a separate connection to the battery. FZ1 fuse blocks are $90 and about the size of a pack of unfiltered cigarettes.

If only connecting one accessory I suggest you go with the relay power off the battery then triggered from a keyed power source. I do not like power any accessory off the bikes wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts