R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had the bike in for the 12k service and shaft recall. Primarily wanted shaft replaced cause I figured no way it would pass as I couldn’t even drop the final drive. It passed go figure. Apparently they only spin the shaft by attaching something on the final drive and powering it up to spin shaft(like a drill) and somehow get a reading off computer for pass or fail. I told service guy prior that I didn’t expect it to pass as I couldn’t even drop final drive, that it seemed to be rusted together. Prior to that service guy came out and told me there’s a problem with my cams. Saying definitely not normal. Premature westing of the lobes, metal separating, not smooth on lobes, if u run ur finger across them ur fingernail would catch. Bike us a 2018 r1200gs with 11k. Definitely something that shouldn’t happen. All the cams were affected although only 2 valves out of spec only by 1/100 each. Of course bike out of warranty so dealer opened a case and contacted the mothership. Apparently about a 5k repair. I’m waiting to hear back and now have a pickup date for bike about 2 weeks from now. Service guy is gonna work on the mothership and we’ll go from there. Shaft rusting is secondary and he wanted to see pics which I sent him. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Very upsetting news, hopefully I have a good outcome 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,591 Posts
I had a similar cam issue. My bike was also out of warranty. BMW picked up 80% of the bill and put new cams and rockers in place of bad ones. If you do a search you should find the whole story with pics. Good luck with the shaft issue.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,591 Posts

·
Super Awesom Person
950 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2018 GS at 42k miles. The right intake cam was shot so they replaced that and the followers but not the other three. BMW covered it and I paid 20% labor and and oil change. My dealer says he's only seen that one cam go bad. I've put about 12k miles on it since the repair and so far so good.
. Automotive lighting Light Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts