R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on doing the Wyoming BDR this year. Allotting 10 days, 20-30 June, from North Dakota. Working on my friends and family to join me. Has anyone done this route yet? Looking for any tips, info and route issues. Crafting a plan to have a SAG Vehicle accompany me along the way. If all this planning goes south as it often does, I'll be doing a solo and can use the advice of others who have done this route already.

· Registered
53 Posts
Planning on doing the Wyoming BDR this year. Allotting 10 days, 20-30 June, from North Dakota. Working on my friends and family to join me. Has anyone done this route yet? Looking for any tips, info and route issues. Crafting a plan to have a SAG Vehicle accompany me along the way. If all this planning goes south as it often does, I'll be doing a solo and can use the advice of others who have done this route already.
Did it last year with a couple buddies. 7 days on the trail not counting travel time to and from the route (3 days) from Denver. Stayed on the main trail other than a detour on the 1st expert route (Bridger Peak). Did not ride the second one (Woodcheck Pass). Route was very manageable due to dry dirt. Watch the WYBDR youtube video a couple times to familiarize your self with the various terrain. Here is our little youtube video, I'm in the gray helmet on the gray R1200GS:
https-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5cATieCMgs
Rough terrain in the Shirley Mountains and a huge 1/4 mile sand pit. Deep sand (12 inches) and no way to ride around it. Do your best duck walk and you will be fine. Section 4 had some mud holes that needed to be ridden around. It was like hitting an ice sheet. Otherwise, the whole route was beautiful and remote. We did get a hotel in Lander on Day 3. Cheap, easy and needed a shower. Camped just north of The Boysen Reservoir dam along the river - beautiful. Tensleep was nice and a nice little town to spent the night and grab a bite. As always, take your time, take pictures and watch out for the side by sides that you come up on from behind. We had a hard time getting around one group - a couple close calls with trees...
Good luck and have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts