·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i'm a new GS rider.
i just bought a 1200 GSA 2010.

the last owner installed a xenon bulb. TG Xénon Bi H4 Eco - TECNO GLOBE

this addin causes an voltage alert on the onboard computer.

it's not a real problème but i would like to know if it's possible to definetly erase the alert.

i seen a voltage regulator from touratech : Module de régulation de tension SSR-01 BMW R1200GS jusqu'a 2012 - Electricité - Circuit électrique / Eclairage - Pour la moto | Touratech AG

could this can help on this subject ?

thanks for help

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
You can always restore the system to stock. The cost should be one stock bulb plus a new bulb access cap -- most HID installations drill a hole in the cap to mount the larger HID bulb.

The only other thing I've read is people who have tried different versions of the ballast. Some seem more likely to cause bulb failure warnings that others. That usually means replacing one HID system with another.

I don't think the touratech device will help with headlamps. They are not fully energized with key on, only "pulsed" once to check bulb condition. The lights don't get full power until the engine is started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your both answers.

What about using an eletric relay to relieve the computer ?

so the ballast will be directly connected to the battery or accessory socket.

and the computer will command the on / off by the electric relay..

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Thanks for your both answers.

What about using an eletric relay to relieve the computer ?
so the ballast will be directly connected to the battery or accessory socket.
and the computer will command the on / off by the electric relay..

That might work but it sure seems like a bit of overkill. Here's how I hooked up my 35w unit and it was very easy:

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have a "canbus decoder" in your schematic.

Where do you get that? Is there a specific part # or is it this: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Error-Code-Eliminator-3-PAIR

Has anyone done low beam & high beam without throwing error codes?

I have a 2009 BMW GS Adv.

Lastly, was the 35w low beam at 4300K OK at night to oncoming traffic? I ride at night often and don't want oncoming vehicles blinded.

If MCs have headlights that are too bright, it actually may be more hazardous as oncoming vehicle or vehicles turning into the street can have a hard time judging distance & closing speed.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts

Where do you get that? Is there a specific part # or is it this: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Error-Code-Eliminator-3-PAIR

Lastly, was the 35w low beam at 4300K OK at night to oncoming traffic? I ride at night often and don't want oncoming vehicles blinded.

If MCs have headlights that are too bright, it actually may be more hazardous as oncoming vehicle or vehicles turning into the street can have a hard time judging distance & closing speed.
Yes, Azsandrider, that should eliminate the error codes on your '09 if you're using a 35W ballast. When I tried the 55W on my '09 GSA, it was fine, at first, but started throwing codes on cooler mornings. On a trip, it finally quit working all together. I changed to the 35W with the decoder and it was fine.

Then I thought, "If the low beam HID is great, the high beam would be phenomenal." My understanding was the high beam is controlled by the ZFE so I installed a 55W unit. I don't ride at night much so I really didn't try it out. On a trip out west, I left Death Valley at 4:00 AM, heading toward Las Vegas. I lit that high beam and got virtually nothing. It didn't reach out past the low beam. After a little fiddling, I ended up taking it out and going back to halogen.

In the 3.5 years I ran the HID low beam, I had two cars flash their lights at me.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was responding to

and the issue with specific canbus.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I was responding to

and the issue with specific canbus.
1. Where do you get that? Is there a specific part # or is it this: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Er...minator-3-PAIR
I got it from DDM

2. Has anyone done low beam & high beam without throwing error codes?
I did a 35W ballast on the low be and a 55W ballast on the high beam and never received an error message.

3. was the 35w low beam at 4300K OK at night to oncoming traffic?
In the three years I had HID lights, I had two cars flash their lights.

I hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I haven't a clue what you mean when you say "I did a 35W ballast on the low beam (CANbus monitored) and a 55W ballast on the high beam (ZFE monitored) ". Neither headlight lamp is connected to the CAN bus. Both are connected to the ZFE. The high beam lamp is connected to ZFE pin 6 and the low beam lamp is connected to ZFE pins 33 ands 46. Both lamps are also connected to ground. (I find it interesting that the low beam gets two connections to the ZFE)

The CAN bus (on the GS) is a communications network that ties together the various controllers on the bike. It could do other things, but it doesn't on the GS. None of the switches are on the CAN bus. None of the lamps are on the CAN bus. The accessory socket is not on the CAN bus.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I haven't a clue what you mean when you say "I did a 35W ballast on the low beam (CANbus monitored) and a 55W ballast on the high beam (ZFE monitored) ". Neither headlight lamp is connected to the CAN bus. Both are connected to the ZFE. The high beam lamp is connected to ZFE pin 6 and the low beam lamp is connected to ZFE pins 33 ands 46. Both lamps are also connected to ground. (I find it interesting that the low beam gets two connections to the ZFE)

The CAN bus (on the GS) is a communications network that ties together the various controllers on the bike. It could do other things, but it doesn't on the GS. None of the switches are on the CAN bus. None of the lamps are on the CAN bus. The accessory socket is not on the CAN bus.
Ah, I was told that CANbus wouldn't accept the 55W ballast on the low beam and that it didn't matter on the high beam as it wasn't CANbus monitored. I thought that was the reason for the faults with the low-beam 55W. Goes to show I'm never too old to be wrong.:D Anyway, I still had no faults with the 35W ballast on the low beam.

Mike

·
Back for more!
156 Posts
FWIW,
I just tried installing a DDM 35W kit on my 2012 GS and got the LAMPF warning after the HID operated for about a half-second. I ordered the canbus decoder/warning eliminator/capacitor/whateveryouwannacallit (from a different company) and nothing has changed. Maybe the decoder was bad? There were two in the package and swapping in the second one didn't help.

Maybe my bike is just too damn sensitive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts