R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market to upgrade my lid to the above mentioned. Found a sale on the Arai XD-4 for around $500 and the regular price for the Klim Krios is around the same. What are your thoughts? I have tried the Arai and it seems comfortable as far as the shape is concerned. Anyone running with these and can comment on "all day" wear and comfort? Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried both at a motorcycle show last year and ended up with the Arai. The Klim had a pressure spot on my forehead whereas the Arai felt so comfortable. The Arai also impressed me more with fit and finish

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the Arai XD-4 (matches my bike :smile2:). Klim just didn't fit me as well. Arai an Shoei are the best fit for me, I also have a Neotec that has seen better days (in it's 5th year).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Arai has been making helmets for a damn long time. They are both SNELL and DOT approved, and you can't buy a better helmet for your money. It all depends on what fits you best. Klim is a relative newcomer to the helmet and M/C clothing scene. Yeah, they are popular, but I don't think they are proven in helmet R&D. Arai is. Do your research on Arai. They have a helmet fitting process, and make helmets to fit all shapes of heads. I have the XD-4 and LOVE it. So comfortable. I have what is considered an "oval head." Look at Shoei, AGV, and Schuberth. A good helmet is going to cost you $500+. It's only your brain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Again, noggin shape. I have a long oval head and the Klim fits me better. To massage out any hotspot of any helmet I've always used one of those little melon baller scoop utensils to form the inside of the helmet foam to fit my brain pan.
Pretty sure when you have a massive brain injury, the helmet company is going to wipe away all liability because you've "melon balled" the inside of their protective structure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the market to upgrade my lid to the above mentioned. Found a sale on the Arai XD-4 for around $500 and the regular price for the Klim Krios is around the same. What are your thoughts? I have tried the Arai and it seems comfortable as far as the shape is concerned. Anyone running with these and can comment on "all day" wear and comfort? Thanks.
Klim Krios Karbon. KKK. Ha. That's weird.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Arai has been making helmets for a damn long time. They are both SNELL and DOT approved, and you can't buy a better helmet for your money. It all depends on what fits you best. Klim is a relative newcomer to the helmet and M/C clothing scene. Yeah, they are popular, but I don't think they are proven in helmet R&D. Arai is. Do your research on Arai. They have a helmet fitting process, and make helmets to fit all shapes of heads. I have the XD-4 and LOVE it. So comfortable. I have what is considered an "oval head." Look at Shoei, AGV, and Schuberth. A good helmet is going to cost you $500+. It's only your brain.
History is replete with stories of companies that have "been making things for a damn long time" getting their corporate asses handed to them by newer guys on the scene. I like Arai, Shoei, Schubert and have owned more than one of each but I'm open to improvements in design and construction that lead the industry to new places. I'm really intrigued about the Koroyd construction of the new Klim hats. My current Shoei Hornet X2 is coming up on 5 years old and I'm starting to shop around. The claims of Koroyd materials is pretty impressive and I'm hoping that lid fits my noggin. If it does, that's the one I'll buy next.

https://koroyd.com/klim-f5-koroyd-motorcycle-helmet/

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pretty sure when you have a massive brain injury, the helmet company is going to wipe away all liability because you've "melon balled" the inside of their protective structure.
I'm pretty sure that when I have massive brain injury the last thing on my (or my family's) mind will be helmet manufacturer liability but your point is well taken. Modify your helmet at your own peril and better to get a hat that fits properly to begin with. The best helmet advice I can give is get one that fits your head snugly but well shaped with no hot spots, full face, and the absolute best tech (lightest and proven) you can afford. I was won over in the 1970's by Bell's adds about "if you have a $10 head..."

I have friends that push back on the full-face advice to which I say, OK, then I guess you're OK with protecting everything but your face. I took a slide when I was 17 years old on the front of a Bell helmet that had it not been a full face design, I wouldn't have a face. It wore through the shell down to the substructure of the helmet on the chin bar. I've never owned anything but since.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I own both. They both have their pros and cons. I do 50/50 and prefer the Krios. It has a wider viewing port, it’s light, and breathes really well. But with that comes some wind noise. It has almost zero buffeting.

I’m a huge Arai fan and own quite a few. The XD-4 is a excellent helmet but the buffeting is worse and it doesn’t quite breathe as well and is heavier. I think its time for an overhaul of the helmet.

Now the buffeting is purely subjective. But thats my take on it with my height and how I have my bike configured.

But most importantly and firstly is FIT. Make sure it fits well and is comfortable

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards the Klim at this time but still have to find a dealer to try one out to make sure of the size. I posted the save question at the advrider forum and someone commented that Klim is actually a rebrand of some other helmet. Is that true? I would think that the tech behind the Klim helmet is kinda unique and if it was a rebrand, it would've been called out easily. in any case, rebrand or not, I think the tech behind it is pretty good and should push helmet makers to further improve.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The aerodynamic design of helmets is for performance in clean air; i.e. NOT behind a windscreen. All kinds of rotors and turbulence comes off of windscreens that contribute to wind noise and buffeting. Don't believe it? The next time you're out on a calm day riding along at 60 mph, stand up on the pegs to get your head completely out of the pressure wave off the windscreen and you'll be amazed at how quiet and still the air is around your hat. The point I'm making is not to get rid of your windscreen but that the helmet design has less to do with the buffeting and noise you hear than where you're sitting while you're using it.

Since I use great hearing protection, generally speaking how quiet a helmet is doesn't make much difference to me either. So given that aero and sound are less important, I can pick the helmet that fits me the best.

I also find that a helmet with a bill on it causes more neck fatigue on long rides than one without. I guess it's catching the wind and forcing me to hold pressure against the drag it causes. If I have a several hour road trip to make to get to the trails, I'll pop off the bill and stow it until I get to the slower part of my ride.

There's one application where the aero of a helmet made a huge difference for me and that's on the track. There's something about a Schuberth SR1 that eliminates the problem of trying to rip my head around backward when making a head check at speed. My SR1 doesn't have that problem when I'm looking over my shoulder at triple digit speeds where my Arai would try snap my head backward.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think each person can only give their opinion on how well an individual helmet fits them. Both the helmets you mention are very nice and high quality. I've tried on both but I own the Arai XD4. For me, it is the best fitting most comfortable helmet I've worn. I also own and wear a Schuberth C3Pro which is quieter and warmer than the Arai, but does not fit as well. It's comfortable, but not nearly as comfortable as the Arai. It's just all about which fits better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own both. They both have their pros and cons. I do 50/50 and prefer the Krios. It has a wider viewing port, it’s light, and breathes really well. But with that comes some wind noise. It has almost zero buffeting.

I’m a huge Arai fan and own quite a few. The XD-4 is a excellent helmet but the buffeting is worse and it doesn’t quite breathe as well and is heavier. I think its time for an overhaul of the helmet.

Now the buffeting is purely subjective. But thats my take on it with my height and how I have my bike configured.
I just read a review of the Krios and a significant complaint from the author was poor ventilation.

https://advrider.com/klim-krios-karbon-vanquish-helmet/

The ventilation on the Arai XD-4 is nothing short of excellent. It has a ton of vents (9) and flows air extremely well. I have owned a bunch of helmets and this Arai is at the head of the pack in regards to ventilation.

I don't experience any buffeting with it either. That is more of a function of the bike and windscreen rather than the helmet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would agree with your comment about buffeting being more of a function of bike and windscreen. But when you are talking about the exact same bike and exact same windscreen and the only variable is the helmet one is wearing, It's the helmet.

I just read a review of the Krios and a significant complaint from the author was poor ventilation.

https://advrider.com/klim-krios-karbon-vanquish-helmet/

The ventilation on the Arai XD-4 is nothing short of excellent. It has a ton of vents (9) and flows air extremely well. I have owned a bunch of helmets and this Arai is at the head of the pack in regards to ventilation.

I don't experience any buffeting with it either. That is more of a function of the bike and windscreen rather than the helmet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Krios and find it extremely comfortable and it feels very light weight. I do agree with a previous post that ventilation could be better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts