R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about an option for the oilheads (GS or GSA ???) with a different gear set providing a slower 1st speed.

I will change my clutch next (Canadian) winter and will have the gearbox removed. If it's possible, I'd like to change the 1st speed pair (If the price is reasonable) to have a 'crawl' speed.

Thanks for any informations.

·
Super Moderator
1,152 Posts
I seem to recall some options on final drives too, ratio is stamped on them. Gearbox would be better for a wide ratio to help at low end and interstate speeds.

One of the benefits of chain drive.
:D

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found another option, replacing the gearbox by one from a R1200RT-P (police version). They are remored to have a very low first speed for parades, allowing to follow a marching pace without slipping the clutch, it makes sense but have to be confirmed. I should also find if it's standard police issue or an option.

I have found one on eBay at a reasonable price. If I can confirm the information, I'll get it.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Found another option, replacing the gearbox by one from a R1200RT-P (police version). They are remored to have a very low first speed for parades, allowing to follow a marching pace without slipping the clutch, it makes sense but have to be confirmed. I should also find if it's standard police issue or an option.

I have found one on eBay at a reasonable price. If I can confirm the information, I'll get it.
I'd love to know the answer to this question!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
A call to your local friendly BMW shop should be able to confirm. I do know the GS/GSA ratios are different and the transmissions are a direct swap. Much easier than and probably more cost effective than an transplant.

If the R transmission works that good news too as the entire R bikes go for cheap. Buy it for the transmission and sell off the rest for parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts