R1200GS Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I don't think there is a way (or at least I haven't found it yet) to "switch" the wonderwheel between the two devices so it solely operates one of them. As of now, I'm using the wonderwheel left and right clicks for the Koso, and on the Nav VI I use the wheel to zoom in and out (or other features using the wheel's spin; spinning has no utility or effect on the Koso). When my use on the Koso changes the screen on the Nav VI, I just use the Nav VI's touchscreen to go back to the screen I want. It hasn't been annoying for me.

General update:
  • I like the visual aspect of the Koso better than the stock instrument cluster - not surprisingly, it's just easier to see the information and I can have all of the relevant information on one screen.
  • The layout of information is good and the look is easy on the eyes - i.e., I feel like the colors are comfortable and the switch from day to night colors is effective.
  • I find it much easier to access my music and phone calls through the Koso unit (vs. the Nav VI as I was doing without the Koso).
  • I don't care for the nav feature in the Koso. It only provides the next turn info. I prefer the full map and traffic information from the Nav VI. Also, it's pulling from the phone, so it is another draw on the phone battery.
  • At the end of the day, my initial opinion hasn't changed after a few days'/rides' use: it is an excellent unit that doesn't add a lot of functionality (except the nav); it just does everything better and is a better user interface for those functions/features (other than nav).
  • I wouldn't get the Koso to eliminate use of the Nav VI, but others might be fine with the limited nature of its nav function. I think it's a no-brainer as a replacement if you have to replace your stock non-TFT instrument cluster. Whether it's worth the money if you just want to switch is obviously a personal decision. As I've said, it's worth it to me.
If I discover anything amazing or problematic, I'll post, but otherwise I think this is my final word on the Koso RX-5: Better than Cats - I'd see it again and again!馃槈

Edit: I lied - I'll check for faults today and update with that info.
Well IMHO you've provided an excellent overview of the RX-5 and certainly touched on every aspect that I was interested in (GS-911 scan to follow....).

Like you, I use my GPS/Zumo XT for all navigation and have never connected my phone to my old Nav VI or previous GPS as I use the Cardo unit (Packtalk Edge now). My personal wants are a device that's easier to see and has information on the main screen that's relevant so in my case it appears to be a winner.

Thanks again!

Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
So I do have a couple of faults showing up that I'll need to iron out:

0xCD9453 CAN message from KOMBI absent (Eingang_Schalterblock_Links_Motorrad_2010)
0xCD9452 CAN message from KOMBI CRC Error (Eingang_ Schalterblock Links Motorrad_ 2010)

0xD35452 No CAN message for left handlebar switch cluster (from KOMBI), CRC error
0xD35420 No CAN message for left handlebar switch

Any insight/thoughts?
Font Magenta Parallel Number Document
Font Material property Magenta Parallel Number

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Have you messaged KOSO with the fault codes for their comments, I would have thought they would have access to a GS-911 or similar device during the R&D for this.

Did you try clearing the fault codes, restarting the bike and then rescan to see if they're still present.

Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
Have you messaged KOSO with the fault codes for their comments, I would have thought they would have access to a GS-911 or similar device during the R&D for this.

Did you try clearing the fault codes, restarting the bike and then rescan to see if they're still present.
I did both of those. Waiting to hear back. Will keep you updated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I did both of those. Waiting to hear back. Will keep you updated.
Full disclosure, I don't have a clue how to interpret the information on that scan however....I came across this reference to BMW's:

"Instrument cluster (widely known as kombi) in BMW modern cars records the data like VIN and mileage in its EEPROM......."

Both of the fault codes make reference to messages to/from the KOMBI etc so perhaps the errors are not anything that will prevent a feature on the bike from working correctly but instead registering that during the system startup the RX-5 isn't responding the way the OEM cluster does so it just creates the fault code to check to ensure the feature is working. I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.....

If there's a firmware update that could be released to address this perhaps they could tweak their app so that the end user could do the update via Bluetooth as Cardo does now with their Packtalk Edge......BT from phone to the module.

Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
Update: Koso is addressing the issue and if you buy one now it will be dealt with and it won't cause those faults. Really surprises me that they didn't see this prior to release.

Unfortunately, mine has to be sent back for them to address it. I have asked them to send me a new one after which I'll send mine back, but that's a big ask on my part - we'll see how they feel about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks for the update and again for being the canary in the coal mine. Should you decide to reinstall your OEM display in the meantime it鈥檒l be interesting to see if it registers your new accumulated mileage.

Then I think you鈥檝e pretty much covered everything!

Premium Member
2017 R1200GS
:eek: Dang.. I should receive mine today, so this probably means I'll have to send it back for the update? I will have time to install it and then test if I am getting error codes in a couple maybe 3 weeks.
Installed? Faults?

They haven鈥檛 completed the fix yet, but will send me a shipping label when it鈥檚 ready to update my unit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Installed? Faults?

They haven鈥檛 completed the fix yet, but will send me a shipping label when it鈥檚 ready to update my unit.
There was a post on another forum regarding this and the KOSO tech advised that the software solution would be a couple of weeks and in the mean time they've withdrawn the units in their inventory from sale (now shown as Out of Stock) and as soon as they've been updated they'll be available again.

Good to hear they've sent you a shipping label.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts