R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I replaced the rear with the DTM and the difference is unbelievable. The whine has gone and it is nice and quiet
I'm in the camp of thinking that these are the perfect tire for our big adventure bikes whether you ever go off road or not. The tread life I've gotten this year in 95% paved rides is nothing like I've ever seen in and last decade of epic trips.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the camp of thinking that these are the perfect tire for our big adventure bikes whether you ever go off road or not. The tread life I've gotten this year in 95% paved rides is nothing like I've ever seen in and last decade of epic trips.
I do the BMW Safari once a year (albeit my first one was last year) but for that I would change to Metzeler Karoo 3, Pirelli Rally or Conti TKC80 as some offroad can be muddy or sandy. But for me, just like you, I am mostly pavement rider. I would like to be able to go on a dirt road or some mild off road terrain whilst on a road ride because I know I have suitable tyres, i.e. Dunlop TMM. They are much quieter than the stock Michelin Anakee 3 that cam with the bike. Unless you rid the twisties like a sports bike maniac, I reckon the TMM are a great allround tyre

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I rode some pretty soft/wet stuff on the MABDR in the fall and the TMM tires were fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm surprised how similar the tread pattern on the Dunlop TM mission is to the Shinko 705's which is rated an 80/20 tire. The shinko's have been my go-to tire for a number of adventure bikes. anyone have any direct riding experiences with both these tires? For an R1200GS the shinkos are about $180 for a pair and the Dunlops about $340
I looked at the price difference and thinking the same thing. I may try the shinko as well. I change out my own tires, so it might make sense

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just noticed that the speed rating on the TMM is T (max 118 MPH), and the Shinko 705 is H (max 130MPH). I'm not a speed demon, but I have done 120MPH on my GS... the weight ratings are the same on both...

I've been eying the TMM vs the 705....but the higher speed rating and $220.45 (705s) vs $377.22 (TMM) is making me go ..Hmmmm.. I can replace 1 rear 705 for that price diff. Are the TMMs that much better on gravel than the 705, or the life expectancy for the TMM (both tires) worth the $157 diff?..I assume the road handling is very similar based on everything I have read.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bit the bullet and went with the TMMs. 40 miles on them and loving them so far!.... I moved from the Bridgestone Battlax A41Fs that came on the bike new..... They were not as aggressive as the TMM, and 100% louder in the front than the TMMs. I was worried about the noise from the front, but so far not the same road howl I had with the Bridgestones new. I'll check back in after a few thousand.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just ordered a set of Dunlop TMM from Performance Cycle in Colorado. A hair under $358, no taxes or shipping to those of us out of Colorado. Best deal I could find. They are not a power dealer so unable to use the rebate from Dunlop. Looking forward to see what all the hype is about.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put almost 200 miles on them last saturday.... LOVED the way they handled on the turns (on road). I didn't have a chance to try much offroad (except for the twice I ignored the 'road closed' barriers and made it through some Mississippi mud.....NOT fun!.. but) they handled that better than I expected too.. Really enjoyed passing all the Harleys that were SOO slow in the turns!

·
Registered
167 Posts
So I put these on my 2017 and had around 4k on them before trading it in on a 2021 GSA that came with the Michelin Anakee Adventure, as soon as these tires are spent I will be putting the Mission on this bike, just my two cents.....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So I put these on my 2017 and had around 4k on them before trading it in on a 2021 GSA that came with the Michelin Anakee Adventure, as soon as these tires are spent I will be putting the Mission on this bike, just my two cents.....
I would have had the dealer swap them?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just ordered a set of Dunlop TMM from Performance Cycle in Colorado. A hair under $358, no taxes or shipping to those of us out of Colorado. Best deal I could find. They are not a power dealer so unable to use the rebate from Dunlop. Looking forward to see what all the hype is about.

I put my first 200 miles on the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires.
The first 3 of 4 turns were freaky. Felt like the bike was going to fall over.
Aftera while the turns felt normal. I guess it was a break in period?
They performed well on twisties and slab roads.
As far as off road, I did some loose gravel, fire roads, and loose dirt/gravel mix with them.
Like the traction the rear provided, not impressed with all the sliding around the front does?
May have to add a little more aggressive tire in front?
Jury still out, many more miles to go on them.

·
Bike&Ski
119 Posts
I put my first 200 miles on the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires.
The first 3 of 4 turns were freaky. Felt like the bike was going to fall over.
Aftera while the turns felt normal. I guess it was a break in period?
They performed well on twisties and slab roads.
As far as off road, I did some loose gravel, fire roads, and loose dirt/gravel mix with them.
Like the traction the rear provided, not impressed with all the sliding around the front does?
May have to add a little more aggressive tire in front?
Jury still out, many more miles to go on them.
I just put a set on my GS this weekend and had exactly the same experience on the first few turns. Haven't had them on the dirt yet but I'm not surprised at your comment regarding the front. I'm coming off of a set of TKC 80's. I bought a 500EXC and so am not using the GS in the woods as much so I wanted to go with something quieter and smoother and on that note I'm pleased.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just put a set on my GS this weekend and had exactly the same experience on the first few turns. Haven't had them on the dirt yet but I'm not surprised at your comment regarding the front. I'm coming off of a set of TKC 80's. I bought a 500EXC and so am not using the GS in the woods as much so I wanted to go with something quieter and smoother and on that note I'm pleased.
Agree with your comments. Like how they feel on the road also.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts