R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
357 Posts
For all of the reasons and problems mentioned in above posts, when I ordered my 2021 GS, I made sure with the salesman that my new bike comes with standard system. Ignition with the key and fuel cap with the key. No electronics here on my new bike.

·
Administrator
1,379 Posts
Reactions: webfors

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Owned two GS's with the keyless cap, a 1200 and now a 1250. Never had a bit of trouble getting the cap open. Just have to rush a bit to get the tank bag off before the system times out. Press down on the cap slightly and pull the tab. Works each and every time. Makeing sure it's completely closed is more of an issue. Once I didn't get it quite seated and latched. Kept wondering why I was smelling gasoline on the ride! :) Not the bike's fault, strictly inattention on my part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading several posts in different places it is obvious that keyless gas caps area source of irritation. My first encounter was yesterday. I stopped to fill the tank and the keyless cap would not open. Fortunately after some fiddling the cap opened and I was able to fill up. However, after filling up I tried to open it a few more times with no luck.

On the way home with plenty of time to think about trading this thing for a Yamaha ST (this is my first BMW and I have been very nervous) it occurred to me that the mounting hardware for the tank bag (installed by previous owner) uses after market socket head cap screws through the cap flange. It turns out that my problem was mechanical binding from the bag mounting hardware. After backing off the after market screws the cap opens and closes properly with no issues. I have ordered 6 screws from BMW to remedy the problem. I will also try and get the torque and sequencing specs before installation so I do not distort the flange during re-installation. Yes, that means no more tank bag but I don't like a tank bag anyway and didn't use it.

For those who noticed the issue in hot weather I suggest you may have the same issue as these components are a mix of steel, aluminum and plastic all of which have different a coefficient of expansion. If the cap is not functioning try backing off the two screws closest to the handlebars.
I had similar issues, backed the screws out slightly and its been perfect since then. I have a tank ring and SV-Motech bag.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my case the locking mechanism it self has failed do to water getting into the lock control housing and corrosion messing it all up. I will likely have to replace the cap system and If I do I will be packing it with an electrical grease use for water proofing.
Automotive lighting Engineering Machine Automotive tire Fashion accessory

·
Registered
333 Posts
BMW ‘ s thinking is not consistent, indeed : they include the fuel cap in the keyless feature (with apparently a lot of problems as a result) but the expensive Vario- and aluminium cases still must be locked with a key (they charge € 25 for a chipless one if you don’t like to endanger the fragile original fob key).

So, every time you park your bike, you still have to check that all cases are locked before you walk away from it ( I’d like to get a Euro for every time I forgot to lock my topcase).

So, why not keeping the original fuel cap with a key ?
BMW buyers are gullible enough to still be forking out for the keyless option if the fuel cap isn’t included anymore..

This being said, I never had any issues with my keyless fuel caps, so why am I complaining ? :p

·
Administrator
1,379 Posts
Yeah, the K1600's have had central locking and I have to admit that was nice. With all the aftermarket options for cases on our bikes I'm not sure how that could be accomplished by BMW. Even the BMW cases I believe are made by Touratech. I'm just happen I can get them all keyed to the same key when I'm swapping them around.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts