R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Rotella 5W-40 View attachment 34011

SHELL ROTELLAⓇ T6 SAE 5W-40 SYNTHETIC EXTREME TEMPERATURE HEAVY DUTY DIESEL ENGINE OIL
SUITABLE FOR/CONVENIENTE PARA:
Shell Rotella Tó heavy duty diesel engine oil with El aceite Shell Rotella Tó para motores diésel de
Triple Protection Plus™ technology has been enhanced with fully synthetic base oils plus advanced additive technology to provide protection against wear, deposits and oil breakdown PLUS: Better fuel economy performance* Excellent extreme high/low temperature protection
Engineered to control turbocharger deposits The exclusive low ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission vehicles. It is suitable for use in all turbocompresor on or off highway engines requiring an API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4 or CH-4 diesel oil in this viscosity grade. Suitable as a replacement for mineral and synthetic based SAE 15W-40 API CK-4/CJ-4 oils in low temperature applications. "Compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 engine oil
trabajo pesado incorpora la Tecnologia Triple Protection Plus™ y ha sido mejorado con aceites base totalmente sintéticos combinados con una tecnologia aditiva avanzada para proporcionar protección contra el desgaste, los depósitos y lo descomposición del aceite, ADEMÁS DE • Mayor ahorro de combustible"
• Excelente protección en temperaturas extremadamente altas/bajas • Diseñado para controlar los depósitos del
Su exclusiva fórmula baja en cenizas protege los catalizadores de gases de escape y los filtros de
particulas incorporados a los vehículos de bajas emisiones más recientes. Se recomienda para todos los motores que transitan dentro y fuera de las autopistas y que requieren un aceite para motores diésel API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, C-40 CH-4 con este grado de viscosidad. Adecuado como reemplazo para los aceites de base mineral o sintética SAE 15W-40 API CK-4/C-4 en aplicaciones en bajas temperaturas. "Comparado con el aceite de motor convencional
SAE 15W-40
MEETS API SERVICE CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 Meets the performance requirements of: ACEA E9, Allison TES-439, Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2,
Cummins CES 20081, Cummins CES 20086, DDC DFS 93K222, Ford WSS-M2C171-F1, JASO DH-2, JASO MA/MA2, Mack EOS-4.5, MAN M3575, MB-Approval 228.31, Volvo VDS-4.5 Follow engine manufacturer's recommendations for specific performance and viscosity requirements. Avoid prolonged or repeated contact with skin. If swallowed, call a Poison Control Center or doctor immediately. DO NOT induce vomiting. Protect the environment and dispose of responsibly. Safety data sheet available on request. For Health Emergencies or Consumer Information, call 1-877-276-7285. Siga las recomendaciones del fabricante para requerimentos específicos de desempeño y viscosidad.
Evite el contacto prolongado o repetido con la piel. Si se ingiere, contacte inmediatamente a un médico, servicio o línea de emergencia local o un centro de información toxicológica local. NO provocar el vómito. Proteja el medio ambiente y deséchese adecuadamente. Puede solicitarse la ficha de datos de seguridad. Para urgencias sanitarias o información al consumidor, llame al 1-877-276-7285. PLEASE RECYCLE USED OIL AT NEAREST OIL COLLECTION CENTER
SAE SW-40
DISTRIBUTED BY SOPUS PRODUCTS PO BOX 4427, HOUSTON, TX 77210-4427
SOPUS PRODUCTS 2018
ROTELLA AND TRIPLE PROTECTION PLUS ARE REGISTERED
TRADEMARKS OF SHELL TRADEMARKS MANAGEMENT BV. MADE IN USA OF DOMESTIC AND IMPORTED COMPONENTS See www.ROTELLA.com for more information.
1 GAL/ 3.785L
Good luck trying to find it.

· Registered
167 Posts
SHELL ROTELLAⓇ T6 SAE 5W-40 SYNTHETIC EXTREME TEMPERATURE HEAVY DUTY DIESEL ENGINE OIL
I'm not so sure about using an oil designed for diesel engines in a high RPM bike motor, even if it has MA2 rating. I also noticed a chemical assessment of the Rotella T6 5W40 has lots of phosphorus, that might not be so good for the catalytic converter. There was also a trace of molybdenum, an additive specifically called out in the owners manual as prohibited.

FWIW, I'd like Amsoil to make a 5W40, I use Amsoil in everything else and all told over 1 million miles ridden or driven. My '84 Chevy K20 has over 450,000 miles on the original motor and trans and other than the factory production oil, it's always had Amsoil in everything.

@GrayBeard, I see you finally pinned this one. Thank you for that, and here's to making this a decade long thread that's been here longer than you have. 😁

· Registered
167 Posts
View attachment 34017

oil threads are entertaining to say the least...🍿🍺
cheers 🍻:)
Sorry, I had to step out for a moment for a fire call while writing that one and must have hit post by mistake. Anyhow I did get back to it and, well you can read for yourself the Moly and P stuff. And, you are 1000% right, oil threads are at the least entertaining if not sometimes knock down, drag out, bare knuckle brawls. Hmmm, sometimes that gives even more entertainment.
Cheers, mate. 🍺🍺

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm good with Rotella T6. So many of us have been running it across many BMW models, Harley and Japanese bikes. Choose your flavor and go. May even try me some Walmart synthetic SuperTech next time.;)

· Administrator
1,459 Posts
I've used Rotella T6 for 10's of thousands of miles in other bikes in some pretty harsh conditions. KLR650s are notoriously hard on oil and it did the job over 3500 miles of TAT, oil/filter change, and the other 3500 miles. Also used it exclusively in all my dirt bikes that get the ever livin' snot ridden out of them. Never had any oil related problems with any of those bikes - well, KLRs when ridden really hard do burn oil but that's not caused by the quality of the oil.

In all my BMW bikes, I've always just used the oil change kit available from the parts counter at Bob's BMW. I don't have any reason to believe it's any better and yeah, it's a lot of money but shrug I sleep better at night knowing I'm using it.

· Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
36 Posts
you can't have a motorcycle oil thread without mentioning rotella t6. i've been running rotella t6 for years. i have a 98 valkyrie with over 67k miles, had a 97 cbr with over 55k miles and a 98 vfr with over 58k miles. i used rotella in all of them and now i use it in my 21 ninja 1000sx and gs. it's a great oil at a great price.
unfortunately, the production has been shut down till Q4 2022 so yes, you may have to work to find it.

at the end of the day, motorcycle oils are manufactured without the friction inhibitors in them that is common in car oils because of the wet clutch. if you have a dry clutch then you could use standard car oils. if you use an oil with friction inhibitors on a wet clutch, you'll notice under heavy acceleration. if you're in a pickle and need oil, car oil is ok until but you should change it quickly. some oil is better than none oil. it will take some time for the additives to wear off the clutch plates if you do accidently use car oil for the bike.

· Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
36 Posts
of course, it's generally not advised to mix oil weights. be that as it may, circumstances may arise where mixing oil can't be avoided. When mixing oils you should always aim for a 50/50 split, however, the end result is not an average of the weights (0w20 mixed with 10w-40 does not yield a 5w-30 oil). there's also a possibility for conglomerates to form. mixing different weights of the same brand reduces the risk of these formations but doesn't eliminate it. generally, when mixing oil, the oil change interval will be reduced. as you get to the temperature limits of either oil, performance will be greatly reduced. you should follow your service manual to determine at what ambient temperatures the 20w-50 and 5w-40 are recommended. if you going to be operating the near an extreme of the recommended zone for either oil, or if the oil is not recommended at all, then you should avoid using that weight all together.

when mixing oils, always ensure they are both conventional or both synthetic. there are some oils capable of mixing convention-synthetic but those are extremely rare today. even partial synthetic does not mix with full synthetic or full conventional.

some oil is better than none oil but at the same time, oil is cheap and engines are expensive. yes, you can get by with mixing oils.

· Administrator
2,087 Posts
Oil Dilemma! I have 6 quarts of Shell 20-50 motorcycle oil I used for my KTM 890 now sold and 6 quarts of Shell 5-40 motorcycle oil. Should I go half and half on my BMW?
While you could go half and half for warmer temps I'd put them up for sale on Craigslist, that's a wide gap in viscosity.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts