R1200GS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anybody have out West experience with the Missions? We have lots of steep, loose, decomposed rock; sand/fine dirt over hard; sand mixed with rubble, and deep sand. Up in Oregon & Washington, they also get mud and wet leaves.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will say that years ago, I put a set of some Dunlops on my ‘05 GS and after the classic Tourances, I found the Dunlop ride was NOT to my liking. Whereas the Metzlers really inspired amazingly connected confidence in hard twisties, the Dunlops were utterly indifferent to my turn inputs -- the Tourances felt like I was on rails as I set my line, whereas the Dunlops were steadily trying to reselect a new line, not squirmy, but in need of constant rider management.

·
Administrator
1,378 Posts
When the miles are from Annapolis MD to Fort Kent Maine round trip followed by Annapolis to Key West round trip, there's not a lot of opportunity to conduct said strip-ectomy. Definitely managed to square them off a bit though....

Reactions: Scurvy

·
Super Awesom Person
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Anybody have out West experience with the Missions? We have lots of steep, loose, decomposed rock; sand/fine dirt over hard; sand mixed with rubble, and deep sand. Up in Oregon & Washington, they also get mud and wet leaves.
The new Dunlop Mission tires just came out last year. There is a long thread on them from people who use them very hard in all conditions over on the Adventure forum. Dunlop Trailmax Mission

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now thats its been close to year since these came out, what kind of mileage are people here getting ? I'm only in the 2500 mi range with no really noticeable tread change so I'm curious as to what others are noticing....

·
Registered
180 Posts
My buddy put them on his GS and said they were the best tires he’d had in a long time. He used them on our recent NMBDR ride and said they performed well in all of the terrain we rode in (almost everything but rain and mud).

He ranted so much about them that I’ll be putting them on my GSA as soon as they Conti street tires die.

·
Administrator
1,378 Posts
Now thats its been close to year since these came out, what kind of mileage are people here getting ? I'm only in the 2500 mi range with no really noticeable tread change so I'm curious at to what others are noticing....
I posted photos of mine previously in this thread. The tread is so deep, while maintaining excellent performance, that these tires will definitely be the longest wearing tires I've ever used on any bike.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have about 8,000 miles on the rear with still 6.1mm of tread to wear indicator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have read so many good reports on the DTM and I was sold on them. I was running Metzeler Karoo 3 on my R1200GS 2017 and found the noise on road irritating. All reviews on the DTM says the level of noise is lower than other equivalent tyres, esp the Karoo 3. Also, everyone seems to report the noise comes from the front and is amplified up the front forks in the R1200GS making it worse than other bikes. The DTM rear tyres on not in stock in Australia until 2021. So I decided I would just swap the front. So I now have the DTM on the front and the Karoo 3 on the back. I have to say the whirr between 60 and 90 kpH sounds like a jet engine taking off. I tried coasting in neutral at this speed and leaning forward and backwards to try determine where the noise is coming from, and I am thinking it is from the rear, and not the front, which contradicts what everyone else finds. I am also thinking that tyre manufacturers in their trials and testing (incl Dunlop) would desing the tread patterns that the harmonics do not amplify, but rather cancel each other out and hence, one should not mix brands of tyres. My question is, and hopefully someone will know - Should I wait until the DTM rear becomes available and fit it on the rear in the hope of this horrible noise disappearing or reducing, or just change both out to a different set? (If I cannot resolve this noise, I will have to go to 90/10 and forgo any riding on unsealed roads, as I do most on road). Anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have read so many good reports on the DTM and I was sold on them. .... had a similar experience?
Well, the general consensus on this forum and over at ADVRider is that the Missions are quieter AND Karoo 3’s are noise bombs, so it’sa safe bet that it’s time for something different and whatever you choose will be an improvement.

That said, it sounds like you spend little to no time on ungraded tracks, and that 10% of the 90/10’s is completely within the range of gravel/dirt roads and more, so I would stick with the 90/10’s. It sounds like you are nearly entirely a tarmac rider, so buy your rubber to favor that vast majority of your riding and you’ll get better performance, gas mileage, traction, noise, wet performance, feel, etc....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, the general consensus on this forum and over at ADVRider is that the Missions are quieter AND Karoo 3’s are noise bombs, so it’sa safe bet that it’s time for something different and whatever you choose will be an improvement.

That said, it sounds like you spend little to no time on ungraded tracks, and that 10% of the 90/10’s is completely within the range of gravel/dirt roads and more, so I would stick with the 90/10’s. It sounds like you are nearly entirely a tarmac rider, so buy your rubber to favor that vast majority of your riding and you’ll get better performance, gas mileage, traction, noise, wet performance, feel, etc....
Thanks for your assessment. I have been considering Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. BTW, what bike do you ride with what tyres?

·
Administrator
1,711 Posts
I am also thinking that tyre manufacturers in their trials and testing (incl Dunlop) would desing the tread patterns that the harmonics do not amplify, but rather cancel each other out
!!THIS!!

I have wondered the same. One thing for a loud tire on car or truck where you are inside but on a bike seems this should be part of the tire design.

Fortunately my Mitas E-07+'s while a bit noisy at first after 500 miles quieted down, guessing they had to take a bit of edges off.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’ve pretty much decided on these tires once my Anakee 3s wear out. I’ve researched different tires, and though there may be better “all street” or knobbies available, these will meet my needs.

As far as the noise issue, noisy tires have never bothered me. When I’m on asphalt, I’m wearing earplugs and listening to music. When I’m on torn up pavement or dirt offroad, well...

And the bottom line is, of all the many tires I’ve put on a dozen or more bikes, I’ve only had an issue with one set that I truly detested. Usually I just ride and take notes as I go. So we shall see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a great time! Looking forward to your report on the tires!
Hello

I am new to the forum. I live in SA and ride a 2005 GS. Recently on the basis of a variety of reviews, I bought a set of trail max missions. I am not a very seasoned dirt rider and not an extreme rider (as I get older, self preservation kicks in) but I enjoy dirt and some rocky gnarly roads. So I have now got about 800 miles on them so far. compared with the Anakee wilds I had on a previous GS, these tires are much quieter. Grip seems great, but I also dont take the tyre to the last knobbly..... not brave enough.
Offroad in clay type mud the tyres cake up badly, (and I fall down) but I suppose that is expected with clay type mud. On the rest of the dirt and more friendly and less sticky mud they are excellent. On gravel and bigger stony roads also very good.
Where it fell down for me is the high speed riding. Taking the bike up to 100mph it is fine. Above that, the front starts to wobble like a mini tank slap. To get it to stop, I have to clamp the tank with my knees and hold very lightly on the handlebars. I also found riding back on a pretty bad potholed tar road that at speeds of about 70-80mph and above, when dodging the potholes, the mini tank slap is there when trying to change direction. I experienced a quick turn in though and something to get used to,
In reading the forum in its entirety, I noticed that the US price for these tyres is significantly higher than the price in South Africa. I paid R3500 for the pair fitted which is about $230...

And now the question.... is there anybody out there that has experienced wobbly front end and how to get rid of it? I am running at the suggested pressures as fitted by the tire place.

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Taking the bike up to 100mph it is fine. Above that, the front starts to wobble like a mini tank slap. To get it to stop, I have to clamp the tank with my knees and hold very lightly on the handlebars. I also found riding back on a pretty bad potholed tar road that at speeds of about 70-80mph and above, when dodging the potholes, the mini tank slap is there when trying to change direction.
Well, crap, that’s not good. I’m hoping your issue is simply lack of balancing or air pressure issue. A friend has these on his GS and loves them. He hasn’t reported any of those issues.

I do plan to install the MTs after my Anakees wear out in a few thousand miles. I’ll do some more research until then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, crap, that’s not good. I’m hoping your issue is simply lack of balancing or air pressure issue. A friend has these on his GS and loves them. He hasn’t reported any of those issues.

I do plan to install the MTs after my Anakees wear out in a few thousand miles. I’ll do some more research until then.
Well based on the comments on this forum, I will play with tire pressures and see if it makes a difference. I will try it out tomorrow and report back

·
Super Awesom Person
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I can take the Mission tires well above 100 without any problems. Make sure the correct size tires were installed, spokes are tight and wheels true. Another thought is the steering damper may be worn.
I would check the tires size,rims and spokes first.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts